Swelling after jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ddetterline2

Swelling after jaw surgery

#1 Post by Ddetterline2 »

Hi, I got upper jaw surgery to correct my underbite on the 6th last week. My swelling has went down allot since then but I still I don’t look like myself. I am scared these are the permanent results. I seen my surgeon a few days ago for post op appointment he was going on with how good I look and how everything is going well, but now I am scared my face won’t ever look normal again. How long does it usually take for swelling to go down after jaw surgery?

Bokang

Re: Swelling after jaw surgery

#2 Post by Bokang »

I am about 7 weeks postop and pretty much have no swelling remaining that will cause a noticeable change in appearance, I am in a state of regret as I absolutely hate the aesthetic outcome😭😭

Kristen

#3 Post by Kristen »

I am about 12 weeks post op and still have visible swelling. I have heard it will take up to a year for all of the swelling to go down. I look completely different at 12 weeks then I did at 1 week. Don’t worry, it takes time for the swelling to go down, and for your final results to appear. Just be patient

Ddetterline2

#4 Post by Ddetterline2 »

Bokang wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:11 pm I am about 7 weeks postop and pretty much have no swelling remaining that will cause a noticeable change in appearance, I am in a state of regret as I absolutely hate the aesthetic outcome😭😭
I’m sorry the outcome didn’t come out as you expected ): I thi I there might still be time allot of people said there swelling DIDNT go down until around month 3-4.

Ddetterline2

#5 Post by Ddetterline2 »

Kristen wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:59 pm I am about 12 weeks post op and still have visible swelling. I have heard it will take up to a year for all of the swelling to go down. I look completely different at 12 weeks then I did at 1 week. Don’t worry, it takes time for the swelling to go down, and for your final results to appear. Just be patient
Thank you. I’ve heard from allot of people swelling doenst go down until month 3-4.

jon

#6 Post by jon »

Most of my swelling went down after 2 months. There is some residual swelling around the cheekbone/nose area that takes a LONG time to go. Like 6 months+. But that isn't very noticeable.

Zod

#7 Post by Zod »

I'm 11 months post op for upper and lower and swelling was mainly gone at 3-4 months but I still noti ex residual swelling several months along. However even with most of it gone I see the significant changes that you may be experiencing as well and I'm displeased to say the least. I'm hoping for a revision surgery.