Upper Jaw Surgery to correct underbite?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ddetterline2

Upper Jaw Surgery to correct underbite?

#1 Post by Ddetterline2 »

I am wondering if anyone has had upper jaw surgery to correct an underbite and crossbite? I’m suppose to be having surgery in 3 weeks and they have changed it from lower jaw surgery to double jaw surgery and now it’s suppose to be upper jaw surgery. Apparently my “lower midline coincides with my facial midline”, but I have a very large crossbite so I’m not even sure how that is possible. I have never heard of upper jaw surgery being used for underbite correction. They don’t even seem like they have a definite answer in what surgery they are doing saying that they “might be able to get away with doing upper jaw surgery” not reassuring at all. I’m very unhappy with the way things are turning out. Just in general wondering if they know what they are doing.

fridaychunk

Re: Upper Jaw Surgery to correct underbite?

#2 Post by fridaychunk »

In the 2 years of braces leading up to my surgery, double jaw surgery was always on the cards. One month before the operation, after they had seen the pre-op position of my teeth and taken moulds for planning, they decided it would be only upper jaw surgery. I also have an underbite, and they reasoned that they could make the correction with the upper jaw coming forward, and that the amound that they'd like to move the lower jaw back did not justify the risks.

I sympathise - you want to know what will happen before you go in to surgery so that you and your family can be prepared in the lead up, and for those critical weeks afterwards. What's business as usual for an experienced medical professional is a big set of unknowns for an uninformed patient, and I didn't like that worry one bit. Luckily, my ortho was very patient and offered lots of advice that I didn't even think to ask for, helping soothe some of my 'unknown unknowns'!

Your post was written in Dec 2019... what was the outcome? I hope you had a result that you're pleased with.