MMA Surgery 2 Months post-op - Teeth/jaw seem not aligned?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

justfra

MMA Surgery 2 Months post-op - Teeth/jaw seem not aligned?

#1 Post by justfra »

Hello everybody,

**TL;DR:**

MMA Surgery beginning of May.

The alignment of my teeth/jaw which does not seem right. Picture: https://ibb.co/RjKsQMS

The lower jaw seems slightly off and some of the front teeth touch (while I technically still have some overbite) so that the upper and lower jaw do not completely close/bite together and I have gaps on the side.

I would be super thankful if anyone who had this surgery or has experience/knowledge could tell me if it is normal to expect these things.

**Long Story**

On beginning of May I underwent MMA Surgery. It's about 2 months and my mouth has been free from bands/arch bars for about 2 and a half weeks.

I still have several numb areas although it seems like feeling is slowly returning.

What has me worried is the alignment of my teeth/jaw which does not seem right.

The surgeon said they might adjust by themselves although for now the lower jaw seems slightly off and some of the front teeth touch (while I technically still have some overbite) so that the upper and lower jaw do not completely close/bite together and I have gaps on the side. Even if I try to move the lower jaw to a position which is not the natural/resting one, Those front teeth still touch and there's no complete closing.

I trust my surgeon, he is a great person and seem very experienced. Has over 10 years experience and he does several of these surgeries per year. On top of that the cost of the surgery (which thankfully was almost entirely covered by insurance) is astronomical. Nothing close to any of the prices I read about online and I'm not entirely sure why but I would think that the more experience a doctor the pricier it would get (or maybe not).

Despite trusting my surgeon, the last time he was me he just had my arch bars removed so I did not have much movement of my jaw as well as I was still more swollen than I am, therefore things might be clearer than they are now, although my next appointment is in 10 days.

Below is a picture and I would be super thankful if anyone who had this surgery or has experience/knowledge could tell me if it is normal to expect these things.

My main fear is having to undergo another surgery, I can't even think about that.

I'm wondering if I'd have to wear braces, too. My teeth are crooked. The surgeon asked me if I wanted them to straighten during surgery, to which I asked if it would impact positively the surgery or not. He said it was just esthetical so I declined.

Picture: https://ibb.co/RjKsQMS

Thanks in advance,

Francesco