Who should have more say oral surgeon or ortho?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ddetterline2

Who should have more say oral surgeon or ortho?

#1 Post by Ddetterline2 »

So my ortho looked at my recent mold and said he only had one back molar to adjust, and my bite should be ready... but I had a tracing appointment with my surgeon this month, and he told me basically not to go because “oral surgeons tend to rush things and he wants everything to be perfect”. Honestly if my oral surgeon is ready to take the tracings at least I would prefer to do them now, because they have to be done a few weeks before surgery and along with the approval process. I’m just a little confused of why my ortho wants me to wait for tracings if my oral surgeon doesn’t. If I had any say in this I would take the tracings, because the sooner the better (my bite is horrible I can’t even speak), but he still wants me to “take things slow”. I wanted my surgery by at least the end of June, but If I don’t get tracings soon I won’t be able to do that. I’m not sure what I can do in this situation.

Another71

Re: Who should have more say oral surgeon or ortho?

#2 Post by Another71 »

Oral surgery sucks! My lower jaw and chin after 2 years are numb and I feel stretched each time I talk and laughy

kplatt2010

Re: Who should have more say oral surgeon or ortho?

#3 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey There- personally I'd want the bite to be adjusted as much as possible before the surgery because you want to only have to do minimal tweaking following because you want the bones to set and heal; not moving with adjustments.
Karla