Having questions 2 months post op.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NickH94

Having questions 2 months post op.

#1 Post by NickH94 »

Hello, this is my first post after lurking on this forums for a little bit. About 2 months ago I had double jaw surgery to correct a severe underbite, crossbite and a whole mess of other issues. Initially, I was very happy with everything, but now that is has been a couple of months and I am no longer swollen I am not nearly as happy as I was on weeks 2-3. My bite feels like it doesn't fit properly unless I shift my lower jaw to my left (or am wearing rubber bands.) It feels like the right side of my teeth fit together perfectly, but the left doesn't fit at all. It also seems like the left side of my front teeth are protruding in an overbite much more than the right side of my teeth. At my last surgery checkup(about 4 weeks post op) my surgeon said everything looks good, but now I have a class II instead of class III. I assume this will all get corrected in time with braces, but it's hard to not be discouraged.

It's also still really difficult to talk properly. It's much better than it was a month ago, but again it's really difficult especially anything with S or SH sounds.

On top of all this, It's just really difficult to adjust to the feel of my *new mouth*. Everything feels out of place and strange. From my tongue touching my teeth to my upper lip touching my teeth/braces. I know it's best to ask my ortho and surgeon thee questions and I plan to at my next appointments, but that is weeks away and I am extremely anxious for answers.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to get some feedback!

Nick

Jfullflow10

Re: Having questions 2 months post op.

#2 Post by Jfullflow10 »

I'm 9 months post up from double jaw and 7.5 months from having to do a revision on my upper jaw and I can tell you it can be a long process to work the bite into place. I'm still in braces, 2 more weeks left (fingers crossed) and I'm just now starting to feel like my bite is ok finally. Don't be discouraged but also don't be afraid to ask any and every question you have to your surgeon and orthodontist. I just started being brutally honest about the things I wasn't happy about and they really helped to let me know what was a genuine concern and what was me just thinking too much about it.

NickH94

#3 Post by NickH94 »

[quote=Jfullflow10 post_id=507542 time=1557923231 user_id=31581]
I'm 9 months post up from double jaw and 7.5 months from having to do a revision on my upper jaw and I can tell you it can be a long process to work the bite into place. I'm still in braces, 2 more weeks left (fingers crossed) and I'm just now starting to feel like my bite is ok finally. Don't be discouraged but also don't be afraid to ask any and every question you have to your surgeon and orthodontist. I just started being brutally honest about the things I wasn't happy about and they really helped to let me know what was a genuine concern and what was me just thinking too much about it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I definitely plan on asking my ortho next week and my surgeon in 3 weeks. I just hope I don't need to have a revision surgery to fix any issues.

marycotter1982

#4 Post by marycotter1982 »

You should address this with your surgeon and see what he says. Also, I assume you are still in braces - ask the ortho about it also.