Unbearable Tightness 9 months post genioplasty

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gaz111

Unbearable Tightness 9 months post genioplasty

#1 Post by gaz111 »

Hello everyone,

I’m new here and quite desperate right now. I’ve tried RealSelf with no success.

Ok, so a brief summary of my situation.

I had a chin implant ( 6mm ) placed from incision under my chin and neck liposuction. This looked great but from the surgery I had burning pains and over the months the implant feel tight and stiff. Had this for 18 months then decide to remove and have a sliding genioplasty inside, then the real problems started....

I had an 8mm genioplasty advancement, at first, all seemed ok but things felt tight and stiff which I expected for a couple of months. Nothing felt too bad, I was pretty numb so couldn’t feel much. My surgeon said everything would heal and go back to normal. Around 3 months after the feeling started to return, then from 5/6 months things started to feel really bad, I’m now 9 months post op and I’m struggling.

I have constant tightness in my chin, lower teeth and lower gums. Every time I speak there is a pulling and tugging feeling. Not when I eat, only at rest and when speaking which is weird! It feels like everything has been sewn together and all my gums and chin muscles are all stuck together. The middle of the chin and lip feel frozen and I feel they have no movement. It’s very hard to talk. Feels stiff and heavy, it feels like I have weights hanging from my chin, it feels like I can feel the weight of the muscles hanging from where the incision was made. It then feels sore. I constantly have to stretch my mouth as I feel like everything is stuck together and needs releasing. It’s really unbearable!

My surgeon said he’s NEVER heard of this and he’s been doing jaw surgery for 20 plus years!

My lower lip feels like it is constantly straining and pulling.

I’m constantly aware of how uncomfortable this feels. I look forward to going to sleep as it’s the only respite I get from the discomfort.

I don’t know what to do or how to move forward?

I’ve tried botox ( didn’t help ) and also 3 rounds of steroid in to the scar. Helped around 5%.

When I brush my teeth I can feel like electric shock / sensitivity type pain shoot down the chin too. It feels like my teeth and gums are full of sticky chewing gum. My lower lip rolled up and In and my top teeth rest of my lip which I hate. I don’t know why this is?

I just want to be able to talk without this tugging and pulling and soreness in the chin, lip and gums. I now hate talking and don’t want to talk because it’s uncomfortable to talk. It feels my lips and chin muscles won’t move as they did before.

The worse thing is, no body knows what the problem is. Been to some other surgeons and had different thoughts, some say bone position is high, others say it may be too advanced, others say scar tissue, but truth is no one knows!

No one has suggested nerve damage though.

I’m at a loss and very depressed. If I’m going to be stuck like this for the rest of my life then it will be a miserable one! When someone talks to me I don’t want to talk back because I know the pulling and tugging and aching will start and the more I talk the more uncomfortable it gets.

Has anyone hear, had or heard of this? I’d be forever greatful for any suggestions!

Many thanks