Surgeon - likeability vs experience

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

marycotter1982

Surgeon - likeability vs experience

#1 Post by marycotter1982 »

How much does surgeon likeability/follow-through and trust affect the decision of which surgeon to choose?

This is with regards to hardware removal. I am 9 years post op and through dental/sinus problems, found out that there's an issue with the top right hardware and it needs to be removed. My dentist initially referred me to a local OS office who handled my case and they are so caring, seen them twice so far, spoke to them 3x on phone and they havent charged me or my insurance a single penny yet. They're working with my dentist and have reviewed my scans with me in detail. Even though the specific OS I'm working with in that office has been practicing for 2 years only (his colleagues in the office have 20+ and 35+ yrs experience and have done orthognathic surgeries although not that many) I get a vibe they truly care. They are offering to remove only the top right hardware that seems to be causing my issue under local and iv sedation in office and will also check the area for any additional pathology - as was originally suspected. I also saw my original jaw surgeon when all this was happening to get his opinion. He didnt bother looking at my cone beam scan but reviewed my CT Scan and pano xray and also offered to remove the top right hardware in office. But also gave me option of removing ALL my hardware (after i asked) with a 3 hour surgery in the hospital. He primarily does jaw surgeries, is the head of OS at a great hospital and has 35+ years experience -- but is also old at this point and his residents do alot -- basically all of the prep and follow up and im sure some of the surgery. Even though he answered all of my 15 questions in a timely manner via email, I dont get the same caring vibe from him but i like the idea of being able to remove all my hardware and his experience..

What would you do?

kplatt2010

Re: Surgeon - likeability vs experience

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There-after nine years, the surgeon who takes you back is going to have to possibly chip away at any bone that has remodeled around the hardware. It may be a piece of cake or it might be a challenge.

I would ask local guy how many patients he's taken into the OR and removed hardware. Also whether this may be more challenging as you are nine years out.

Look for any red flags and heed to that inner voice that tells you who to go with. I'd personally would opt for all the hardware to be removed to avoid having to go back possibly if any of the other hardware had issues going forward.

Also; in regards to PM ability, it has to do with how many posts you make. Once your name turns green then you know you've reached the amount to do more things on the site (PM, adding an attachment).
Karla

marycotter1982

Re: Surgeon - likeability vs experience

#3 Post by marycotter1982 »

Local OS has never done orthognathic surgery but he said he removed a couple pins. I think I am going to cross him off due to that. So I am going to go with my original OS and I am trying to decide if I should go in to surgery and have them attempt full hardware removal (they said any plates that have bony overgrowth will have to be left in) or just have them remove some of the screws around my nose that look to be loose/infected (this would not require surgery but local anesthetic although the OS said it may be uncomfortable..) I am thinking of going for attempted full removal because I really dont like the idea of the metal in me - just scared of the risks, additional scar tissue, etc etc... not sure what is the right decision...