Revision Jaw Surgery after 2.5 Years?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Naderq

Revision Jaw Surgery after 2.5 Years?

#1 Post by Naderq »

Hi There,

I've posted on here a few times about the unfavorable outcomes with my surgery. Essentially, for the past 2.5 years, I've been living with poor aesthetic features as a result of my double jaw surgery. My surgeon, without providing me much notice of her plans, made a number of bold moves during surgery that have left me with seriously poor outcomes that include:

- MIdline off 1.6mm
- Jaw rotated
- Cant by 3mm
- Nose is completely messed up. Uneven nostrils. My septum is very deviated
- Chin is uneven
- Jawline is bumpy
- Protruding horsey jaw due to the tilt
- My face is extremely asymmetrical

In the end, I'm not entirely sure if it was worth going through upper jaw surgery - I feel like lower jaw surgery would've been sufficient but my surgeon didn't really give me an opportunity to opine on her plans - which in retrospect was a serious red flag.

The outcome of this surgery consumes my mind on a daily basis and I have serious dysmorphia issues now (worse than before)

Anyways, I'm now considering revision surgery and am wondering if anyone has had revision surgery based more on the aesthetic outcome after 2 years? Did you see a new surgeon or the same one? How did it turn out? Any advice is much appreciated on how you went about getting the surgery?

Sparklecat

Re: Revision Jaw Surgery after 2.5 Years?

#2 Post by Sparklecat »

What issues did you have BEFORE surgery? Was your smile/chin/face symmetrical before surgery?

Naderq

#3 Post by Naderq »

My two main issues were a receeded chin and TMJ. My surgeon convinced me that I had a gummy smile that she wanted to resolve but in retrospect I don’t think it was severe enough to warrant fixing it.

Naderq

#4 Post by Naderq »

And no - I had no symmetry issues before the surgery. In fact, I specifically mentioned to the surgeon that the two things I like about my face were my nose and symmetry - and those are the two things that have been absolutely destroyed.

kplatt2010

#5 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey There- I'm sorry that you had to go through that with some unintended outcomes. In regards to the deviated septum, that's actually a known complication that my surgeon nor anesthesiologist ever briefed me on during the consent phase. The increase risk is due to the fact that you're intubated nasally, for a prolonged period, and they are jerking your face around cutting. If you've had a previous deviation then you're even more at risk.

My surgery was 8 hours long and I had a previously deviated septum. My nose was a hot mess after the surgery and I had a rhinoplasty/septoplasty six months after the jaw surgery.

Whatever decision you come to; make sure the surgeon that does the revision has a good track record for revision work. You want someone who knows what they're doing and I would kindly suggest that is not your current surgeon.

Good Luck.
Karla

Luciangreuceanu

#6 Post by Luciangreuceanu »

Hi,

I will have my revision surgery this Wednesday.
I am after 3 years after first surgery and I knew from then that I will have to redo it.

I am getting anxious, hope I will manage and this time the surgery will be a succes.

Keep in touch,
Lucian.