TMJ pain getting worse can’t chew on one side

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ddetterline2

TMJ pain getting worse can’t chew on one side

#1 Post by Ddetterline2 »

A few days ago they my orthodontist made a mold of my teeth it fit on one side but the other side didn’t fit (I have an underbite and crossbite). She said it would take 3-4 adjustments to get it to fit which is just her estimate. She adjusted the wire in a way that my tether were on the one side, and two days after that adjustment my teeth were hurting so bad plus with the rubber bands it was just awful. Now every time I try to chew on one side I get s sharp pain on that side of my head, and I can only chew on one side now. I can’t alert her of this, because I’m the beginning she said if my tmj were to get worse she would take the braces off and we wouldn’t be able to do the surgery for whatever reason. I do not know what to do I am so depressed. I’ve been in braces 11-12 months and I don’t want it all to be for nothing, but I do not know how to cope with this pain, and I really want to get the dyrgery since my bite has gotten worse and made it harder for me to chew. I do not know what to do or how I am going to last 3-4 adjustments and that’s if I’m lucky to get this surgery. My appointments are six weeks apart by the way. :(

Ravenclaw

Re: TMJ pain getting worse can’t chew on one side

#2 Post by Ravenclaw »

Why is the orthodontist the one deciding whether you could get surgery or not? In my case, my maxillofacial surgeon basically gave my ortho a list of things that had to be done before the surgery, and the ortho just followed the instructions. I think you should inform the surgeon who would be performing the jaw surgery of your issues. Maybe there is a way to still do the surgery. After all, some maxillofacial surgeons use the surgery-first approach in orthognathic surgery wherein orthodontics is done after jaw surgery. I don't know if you would be a good candidate for it, but it might be something you would want to ask your chosen maxillofacial surgeon.