Impacted Canine/Surgically Assisted Expansion?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PsychoBowman

Impacted Canine/Surgically Assisted Expansion?

#1 Post by PsychoBowman »

Hi there!
New to this board so here's some info!
22 y/o, just got my braces put on January 29 2019.
I had a canine that grew in behind the baby canine.. the baby canine fell out. They have successfully moved my adult canine ALMOST into place and it's only 3/16/19. Woohoo! It's made awesome movement.

However my other canine on my right, is still a baby tooth, with an impacted canine in the roof of my mouth. They want to do the procedure to uncover the impacted canine and bring it down and I'm petrified lol. I am only in this state (military spouse) for 2 more years and I have read horror stories of it taking 4 years! I am hopeful since my teeth seem to move fairly quickly, that JUST MAYBE... it'll move down quickly so they can get it into place? Any personal experiences?! How long did it take?

On top of that. They want to remove 2 wisdom teeth.

And on top of THAT, here's the scariest part, they want to do a surgically assisted expander to widen my upper jaw to give me more space for my teeth (I currently dont have a lateral tooth on my right side, genetically never had it so they want to add a lateral implant after my adult canine is put into place, but they need the space first) I don't have an extreme crossbite so we don't know if the hospital will agree to it, but that IS the plan if we can. It sounds like they'll basically break (fracture) my upper jaw so that the expander can be placed and the bones will be able to move and expand.... dont quote me on that but I believe that's what happens? I'm petrified. I've never been put under or had surgery like this. Any one have any experience with this? They want to do all the above at the same time. Worries me because my impacted canine is atleast an inch behind the baby tooth, in the roof of the mouth... and they wanna fracture my roof so :lol:

Any thoughts? Experiences? Help? :lol:

scopus

Re: Impacted Canine/Surgically Assisted Expansion?

#2 Post by scopus »

hey i had canine exposure and wisdom teeth done at same time. Pretty easy surgery, no in hospital stay, no mouth wired shut... sorry dont have experience with sarpe, someone else should chime in for. To fully expose the canine took a long time but not 4 years long. I believe a year and a half or so and im 30yr old. Id say def worth it to help correct your bite and improve chewing.