After Jaw surgery do you have to continue your orthodontic treatment?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ddetterline2

After Jaw surgery do you have to continue your orthodontic treatment?

#1 Post by Ddetterline2 »

I was told I will have two year treatment after jaw surgery. This doesn’t make sense my teeth were always pretty straight the problem was my underbite, so after surgery could I just stop my orthodontic treatment if I’m okay with my teeth or would my jaw move back to the underbite position?

kplatt2010

Re: After Jaw surgery do you have to continue your orthodontic treatment?

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

I was told that I would need six months of braces following surgery. It's going on two years soon. I would heed the experts advise. You're about to go through a pretty major surgery and you want your bite to be right. Appearance is one thing but bite is a whole different ball game.

PierreDeFermat

#3 Post by PierreDeFermat »

You should follow the advice of the surgeon and your orthodontist.

Your bite/teeth will indeed relapse without proper post-surgical treatment (including arch-bars, retainers (Hawley or palatal bonded), etc.). You may also experience new-found TMJ issues if your teeth relapse with your new jaw-position.

It's most common to receive a year of braces, then have orthognathic surgery, and then another year of braces.

Jfullflow10

#4 Post by Jfullflow10 »

My teeth were straight before surgery too, after the surgery, they were not straight at all anymore because of how they had to move my jaws. I had open spaces, one front tooth was a bit lower than the other and my bite was way off. I'm on week 12 of braces now and things have improved but my bite still needs more time, probably another 12 weeks or so, according to my orthodontist. I think in many cases of jaw surgery, orthodontic treatment is needed for a period of time. Some people more time than others so maybe you'll be lucky and it will just be a short time but fine tuning the bite will be crucial to the success of the surgery.