numb chin syndrome after mandibular advancement?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

XXRyanXXL

numb chin syndrome after mandibular advancement?

#1 Post by XXRyanXXL »

I had a double jaw surgery 2 years ago, and my lower jaw was moved forward around 11mm, I noticed immediately after the surgery my chin and lower lip was numb. Fast forward 2 years, I still am completely numb in that area. Turns out there is a nerve (the mental nerve) that runs to that specific part of the face, I do not think the surgeon cut it, because I have small peripheral sensations and some pain, could it be from the large advancement that it stretched or bruised the nerve?

Pheanix997

Re: numb chin syndrome after mandibular advancement?

#2 Post by Pheanix997 »

[quote=XXRyanXXL post_id=505242 time=1540323179 user_id=32505]
I had a double jaw surgery 2 years ago, and my lower jaw was moved forward around 11mm, I noticed immediately after the surgery my chin and lower lip was numb. Fast forward 2 years, I still am completely numb in that area. Turns out there is a nerve (the mental nerve) that runs to that specific part of the face, I do not think the surgeon cut it, because I have small peripheral sensations and some pain, could it be from the large advancement that it stretched or bruised the nerve?
[/quote]

Does the lower lip numbness affect your speech at all? I am experiencing that atm 8 weeks post-op

academiannut

#3 Post by academiannut »

My lower jaw was also advanced 11, and I currently am completely numb in bottom lip and chin. Hasn't affected lip movement at all though. Have you practiced exercises or PT? I'm only 19 days out so too early to tell much.

Another71

#4 Post by Another71 »

Yes. 2 years same surgery and a partially numb lip but fully numb Chin. Regrets the surgery soo bad, ever time I talk and laugh I feel the stretch!

Sara123456789

#5 Post by Sara123456789 »

^ did you have genio as well? I have the same thing :( pulling and stiffness with movement :( have you thought about removing the plate?