9 days post op on lower jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Trickishaura

9 days post op on lower jaw surgery

#1 Post by Trickishaura »

Hey everyone. I’m 9 days post op and doing pretty good considering. Swelling is going down. My issue is my lower lip and chin feel like it is burning all the time amd if I ice it I feel like it gets more swollen. Does anyone else feel the same?

Jfullflow10

Re: 9 days post op on lower jaw surgery

#2 Post by Jfullflow10 »

I had the exact opposite, I was double jaw and it felt like my chin and area around my nose were absolutely freezing and it felt like I was inhaling really cold winter air. Such a bizarre and absolutely annoying sensation. My surgeon told me it was just due to how much the sinuses get messed with for surgery.

kplatt2010

#3 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There-
You might be beyond the benefit for icing your face. The benefit of doing ice now at 9 days is probably not helping with the swelling at this point. Swelling takes a while to go down. Perhaps ask your surgeon if it's permissible to take Motrin or naproxen daily to get you over the hump. You can usually take NSAID's daily for 2 weeks before they want to get lab work to check on the kidney's. I found too that my pain and swelling increased the more I spoke. Try to have a quiet day and see if that helps with the pain.

I did not get any burning it was more like someone hit me with a baseball bat LOL..As the nerves start to regenerate (usually 3 to 6 months), the area will start to itch. But scratching does not help because it's still numb.
Karla

aghummel90

#4 Post by aghummel90 »

Usually some feeling in the nerves is a good sign. Hang in there, you're early in the recovery process.