Orthos won't work with surgeon outwith local area?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TaylorW

Orthos won't work with surgeon outwith local area?

#1 Post by TaylorW »

Hey, I've been told by a few orthodontists that no ortho would ever work with a surgeon that isn't local to them and was wondering if anyone else has been told this?

I had orthodontic treatment a few years ago for severe overcrowding and they removed four molars and pulled both arches back. I was left with a 7mm overjet (not that severe I guess and better than it was before) and 1mm gaps where my molars were. The orthodontists i've seen recently recommended a mix of doing nothing or removing more teeth and pulling the upper ones back.

I'm not sure I want to remove more teeth though. My main complaint just now is that my mouth feels uncomfortable all of the time, my upper teeth push into my lower lip and i've got white patches where they rub against it, if I have to talk for any extended amount time by the end of the day it feels raw. It also seems to push out my lower lip and i've got a deep labiomental fold. My lower jaw arch feels very small, unless I pull my tongue up and curl it backwards against the roof of my mouth, it rubs against my lower teeth or I have to curl it forward against them.

I saw one surgeon in my area (quite limited where I live) but he said he only really deals with syndromic cases and since my bite was stable there wasn't much he could do. I then booked one with a surgeon in London but cancelled after speaking with orthodontists in my area since they said it would be a waste of time and would be possible. The ortho consultations are costing around £150 each time and none of them seem to be willing to answer if they'd work with a surgeon outwith the area until you consult with them. Not sure if it's better just giving up and living with it but i'm only in my 20s and can't imagine having that kind of discomfort for decades.

Pequod

Re: Orthos won't work with surgeon outwith local area?

#2 Post by Pequod »

For a straightforward question as this you should be able to call up the front desk or email them and ask directly. You do not need a consultation for a routine procedural question like this.

My take is that, at least in the US, the majority will. Some might prefer to work exclusively with one surgeon but plenty of people use a local orthodontist and travel out of state for surgery.