Reconsidering braces and double jaw surgery (alar widening?)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bretodeau11

Reconsidering braces and double jaw surgery (alar widening?)

#1 Post by bretodeau11 »

Hi all.
I've always wanted straight teeth. I have severely crowded tooth (#10), so much so that it almost looks like it isn't there. After an orthodontic consult with hopes to straighten this tooth, I discovered that I have an open bite, cross bite, and an underbite- however all these issues are well-camoflauged due to the wearing of my teeth (back molars) as well as the tilt of lower teeth.
I'll need double jaw surgery to fix these issues, and in order to make room for my crooked little tooth, I'll need to either undero SARPE surgery to widen my upper palate or have premolars extracted.

My greatest fear at the moment is alar widening as a consequence of the upper jaw advancement that I'll need. I've expressed this to my ortho and she said that this issue isn't all that common- that it mostly occurs in patients who have large advancements to make. She said mine will be in the 5-6 mm range and that my discrepancies are more so in the width and cant of my upper jaw and not so much in the saggital (depth) plane.

As much as I hate that crooked tooth, I absolutely cannot fathom my nose becoming any wider, or becoming upturned. So I'm not sure what to do at this point.