Left-right jaw shift post surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kmany

Left-right jaw shift post surgery

#1 Post by Kmany »

Hi all,

I'm 4 weeks post of today, lower advancement only. They planned to move lower forward 8mm, left 2 mm, and up 2mm. I had an overbite, mild open bite and crossbite.

I am not wired - right into a splint and heavy elastics after surgery. Midlines were aligned in the splint. Splint came off at 2 weeks and I had open bite along both sides of back teeth. Didn't know how to close my mouth, though my jaw was opening and closing in a way that pleased them the teeth didn't sit comfortably together.

The open bite has closed fully on the left and some on the right. The problem is that it seems now that I'm out of the splint my jaw wants to relapse 1-2 mm to the right. In that position my teeth mostly-fully touch. However, that is right of where I was splinted and feels a bit like a cross bite again (based on how upper and lower arches align on the inside felt with my tongue).

The surgeon seems not bothered at all and said it's a problem for orthodontics. Did anyone else have this where the jaw was not fitting, and trying to relapse, and the surgeon didn't care? I realize it's only 2mm but it does change how much chin looks. Is it normal to expect the orthodontist to refine jaw position and not just tooth alignment?

Additionally, my jaws look uneven in angle and shape. Surgeon basically said that's "just me" - I don't think so, not to this degree, and it doesn't look like its all swelling (I do have some swelling left but I've pulled the flesh taut to see the bone and felt the bone shapes). If anyone has any words of wisdom on apparently lopsided jaws I'd appreciate it... I am crying to think I may have to accept an more unbalanced face from the front view than I started with, or have to do surgery again.