Nerves and regaining feeling

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mm12345

Nerves and regaining feeling

#1 Post by Mm12345 »

I've noticed that I had regained much more feeling in the right side of my chin and lip, and my left side is still almost numb but has some light feeling.
Left side of my face was much more swollen during the whole time. I'm now 7 weeks post op. Does this mean I won't regain feeling in my left side?
In 10 days I have my appointment with my surgeon and will ask him this, but I'm hoping to get some insight here.

raj

Re: Nerves and regaining feeling

#2 Post by raj »

Hello Mm12345,

Congrats that you got feeling on right side of your chin at 7 weeks mark! I think that's a good progress. I am also at 7 weeks mark post-OP. Contrary to your case, I regained feeling only on left side of the chin and lip. Last couple of days, I am getting burning sensation on right side of chin; that means I will soon gain sensation on that side too. My surgeon told right after operation, that nerves were not damaged and I should expect to get feelings back in the chin and lips area within few months.

If your nerves were not damaged during OP, I am sure you will get back sensation on left side too, sooner or later. What did your surgeon say?

runrabbitrun

#3 Post by runrabbitrun »

I'm also 7 weeks out and have had exactly the same experience. The left side of my face has been slightly more swollen than the right for much of my recovery, and the right side of my chin started to gain sensation before the left (probably important to note that I also had a sliding genioplasty). Given that the left side of my chin was completely numb 3 weeks ago (whereas I was already regaining sensation on the other side at that time), but now has feeling, I don't think it means that you won't regain feeling at all - it's just that nerves are unpredictable and you're probably not going to regain sensation at a consistent rate in all areas of your face.

I would ask your doctor whether the nerve was damaged during the operation. Mine confirmed that the major nerve was left unsevered/damaged, so I should regain most if not all feeling (though that could take up to a year).

Mm12345

#4 Post by Mm12345 »

raj wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:47 am Hello Mm12345,

Congrats that you got feeling on right side of your chin at 7 weeks mark! I think that's a good progress. I am also at 7 weeks mark post-OP. Contrary to your case, I regained feeling only on left side of the chin and lip. Last couple of days, I am getting burning sensation on right side of chin; that means I will soon gain sensation on that side too. My surgeon told right after operation, that nerves were not damaged and I should expect to get feelings back in the chin and lips area within few months.

If your nerves were not damaged during OP, I am sure you will get back sensation on left side too, sooner or later. What did your surgeon say?
My surgeon didn't tell me anything about damaged nerves. I don't know why I didn't ask. He was pleased at our last appointment because I already was gaining feeling and said all those stuff like it takes time etc. I'm happy to hear you also are gaining feeling back. I guess that it doesn't go at the same time at both sides unfortunately. :(
Thank you for replying!

Mm12345

#5 Post by Mm12345 »

runrabbitrun wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:51 pm I'm also 7 weeks out and have had exactly the same experience. The left side of my face has been slightly more swollen than the right for much of my recovery, and the right side of my chin started to gain sensation before the left (probably important to note that I also had a sliding genioplasty). Given that the left side of my chin was completely numb 3 weeks ago (whereas I was already regaining sensation on the other side at that time), but now has feeling, I don't think it means that you won't regain feeling at all - it's just that nerves are unpredictable and you're probably not going to regain sensation at a consistent rate in all areas of your face.

I would ask your doctor whether the nerve was damaged during the operation. Mine confirmed that the major nerve was left unsevered/damaged, so I should regain most if not all feeling (though that could take up to a year).
I'l make sure to ask this. I'm guessing my surgeon would mention it if the nerves were damaged but still better to ask. It's so annoying having one side more swollen. I'm really hoping for gaining back the feeling in the left side. My right is at 90% I would say. When i rub my hand on my chin and my cheek, that has full feeling, there is just a slight difference in the nerves and feeling, but then when it rubs the left side, there is much bigger difference. So annoying, but I guess it's better than not having feeling at all.
Also I'm pleased you're also regaining feeling!
Thanks for the reply. :)

snapdresser

#6 Post by snapdresser »

Mm12345 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:24 am I've noticed that I had regained much more feeling in the right side of my chin and lip, and my left side is still almost numb but has some light feeling.
Left side of my face was much more swollen during the whole time. I'm now 7 weeks post op. Does this mean I won't regain feeling in my left side?
In 10 days I have my appointment with my surgeon and will ask him this, but I'm hoping to get some insight here.
I don't think the swelling has anything to do with it, but I'm not a surgeon. The fact that you have light feeling in it is a good sign. That feeling may come back more over time, even if not to 100%. You're only 7 weeks in and you'll be thinking about nerve stuff for the next year, so ask your surgeon what you want and be prepared to try to put it out of your mind as best you can, since there's nothing you can do about it.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018