Nostril change?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetlittlelie

Nostril change?

#1 Post by sweetlittlelie »

Hello!

I've tried Googling, but I can't find anything, so...

Has anyone else had nostrils that are two different shapes after surgery? And if so, did it eventually go back to normal (same shape, at least, if not how they were before) or did they stay that way?

I'm only 14 days out from surgery myself, so I'm hoping it's still from the tubes or uneven swelling.

Thank you!

kplatt2010

Re: Nostril change?

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There,
Not sure of the details behind your nose but I had the double jaw surgery a year ago today. Procedure was 8 hours long and during the case; they deviated my septum. This is an unfortunate known possible complication and the stars aligned with me because I had a previous deviated nasal septum repair. Mine was quite obvious and I had to have a septo/rhinoplasty six months following the surgery. There was no way that I was going to go through all the surgery (for sleep apnea) and then not be able to breath out of my nose. Thankfully insurance covered most of the second case

You do have a lot of swelling from this surgery that takes a good long time to resolve. I was a hot mess for the first two weeks and had lost a good amount blood too so I was pretty anemic and unable to do a lot the first week or two. Sleeping in a lazyboy the first week keeps you super elevated and helps with the swelling.I found too as the swelling went down; sensation came back. I would say I have 80 to 90% sensation back now.

Give it a little more time.
Karla

sweetlittlelie

#3 Post by sweetlittlelie »

Huh. I didn't know that! It's been 6 weeks now and my nostrils still look different... pretty sure my septum has been deviated, and it's not just swelling. But we'll see; I'm not going to rush into anything... and maybe it's just uneven swelling. I can dream.

Thanks for the response!

glennstanzalone

#4 Post by glennstanzalone »

Absolutely. It was worse with swelling but my nose has changed dramatically. I'm looking at getting a rhinoplasty later this year.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

joepottsy

#5 Post by joepottsy »

[quote=sweetlittlelie post_id=503683 time=1532762310 user_id=32058]
Huh. I didn't know that! It's been 6 weeks now and my nostrils still look different... pretty sure my septum has been deviated, and it's not just swelling. But we'll see; I'm not going to rush into anything... and maybe it's just uneven swelling. I can dream.

Thanks for the response!
[/quote]

I actually had the opposite to you but I think the information helps. I had a broken nose prior to my surgery but on asking my surgeon prior to my surgery he told me it is very possible from upper jaw surgery that there can be movement to do with the nose too as he told me the surgery might actually help the existing septum deviation I had from my broken nose. Hope that helps.

Trying2StayPositive

#6 Post by Trying2StayPositive »

I know this is an old post but whatever happened with your nose? Did it go back to normal or did you have it corrected? Asking because I experienced the same thing. I'm one month post op and wondering if once the swelling goes down it will get better but I probably have no choice but to wait and see.