Overbite after underbite surgery :(

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Metaldetector

Overbite after underbite surgery :(

#1 Post by Metaldetector »

Hi everyone,

I had double jaw surgery to fix an under bite, currently 3 weeks post op. Now the swelling has mostly gone down it feels like, and I'm left with either a lower jaw that's too far back or a top jaw that's too far out... or both...

I've only seen a few bloggers/vloggers who looked like this at weeks 1/2, and for all of them it disappeared by week 3, or there was at least a noticeable decrease as the swelling decreased. For me it looks the same. I'm just hanging onto hope that maybe there's still some swelling that I can't tell is making me look this way. Did anybody else experience this? :cry: :cry:

Sideways

Re: Overbite after underbite surgery :(

#2 Post by Sideways »

Currently 7 weeks post-op and my advice is that things will likely look better in the coming months-- my surgeon advised to not think too much about how things look until 4-6 months in.

I didn't have a severe underbite, and it's difficult to tell with the splint still in, but my current bite looks a bit overbite-y as well, but my upper lip is still a bit swollen and floppy due to lack of exercise. I imagine that, over time, the orthodontist will fine tune the overjet.

Metaldetector

#3 Post by Metaldetector »

Now that more of the swelling has gone down at 4 weeks post op, I definitely have a significant overjet. I measured about 6-7 mm horizontal overjet. Plus a vertical overbite of around 6 mm as well, which doesn't bother me as much.

It just looks terrible, and my surgeon had said my lower jaw will settle forwards a little so they do this to compensate, but it's been a month and if anything the overjet has worsened. I'm terrified that this will mean another 2 years in braces to fix, if it even CAN be fixed, rather than 6-12 months.

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

At 4 weeks post op, you are still significantly swollen in alot of places, and the swelling is also not going to be even. It will also take some time for your jaws to settle.

Ortho work will also correct the rest of it. I had a 8 mm overjet, and it took my ortho about 11 months to fix it, so I don't think it will take 2 years. Give it some time. It's still early days yet.