fears after reading horror stories - upcoming surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sleepmed

fears after reading horror stories - upcoming surgery

#1 Post by sleepmed »

Hi all,
I guess I am posting for some moral support or advice. I have been following these forums for months but haven't posted until now. Soon I will be having maxillary mandibular advancement (2 piece lefort 1 and BSSO) at the Mayo Clinic, in the hopes of helping my obstructive sleep apnea. I was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago and recommended to have MMA surgery at that time. It took me many years to work up the courage to get this surgery.

Now I've had braces (for almost 2 years!) and this surgery is finally about to happen, but I find myself feeling scared and worried that I might be making a huge mistake. I've read so many horror stories and it seems like there are a lot of people who are very unhappy with their results after surgery. I don't have any TMJ issues and I'm also completely happy with how I look. I do have a weak chin, but it doesn't bother me. That may sound strange, but I've gotten used to it and there are a lot of other things I like about how I look. I'm also married and my spouse is happy with the way I look too. So, I really don't want to look like a different person. My only motivation for getting this surgery is that I really want my sleep apnea to improve. It has had such a profoundly negative impact on my life (and I've tried literally everything else at this point).

After reading these horror stories though, part of me just wants to cancel my surgery and get out while I still can or something. I'm really getting cold feet here and don't know what to do.

thanks to anyone who responds

Punakmouth

Re: fears after reading horror stories - upcoming surgery

#2 Post by Punakmouth »

I think the horror stories are over represented online.

I also had an advancement with both the upper and lower (lefort 1, 3 piece and BSSO) and I look the same as before minus the uneven gummy smile. I was happy with my looks prior to surgery as well, but my surgeon says it looks like I got a mini facelift. :) (Make sure your surgeon does the alar stitch so your nose doesn't widen. My nose looks exactly the same....and prior to my surgery I was all worked up about it from all the nose stories online!)

You will be fine! You will get through the first week and you will be glad you did it. If this resolves your sleep apnea, it is worth it!! For you, for your spouse, for your children!

Vega

#3 Post by Vega »

i had the same surgery, and I am very pleased with the outcome. My breathing improved dramatically, I sleep a lot better since. Funny thing is that I never noticed before that I had issues breathing, considered it as ‘normal’.
My reasons to do the surgery was part cosmetic and part preventive. I had a weak chin as well, and it did bother me, made me look like a cartoonfigure.
My face didn’t change but it got more balanced. People notice there is something different but cannot put a finger on it.

It’s not an easy recovery, but I never had doubts or the feeling that I had made a mistake going trough it.
I’m a very positive person, and i do think staying positive plays a good part in recovery.
The first week is the hardest, but after that you will start to feel it getting better each day.
I was back to work after 6 days, but if i could do it over again i would take 3 weeks off at least.

sleepmed

#4 Post by sleepmed »

Thank you both for your comments. It truly means so much to me to hear from people who don't regret it. I'm trying to stay as positive as I can

alwaysabc

#5 Post by alwaysabc »

Hi Sleepmed

I think pre-op fears are totally normal and understandable! It also took me nearly a decade but I had double jaw surgery earlier this year, tried not to read too many horror stories and focus on the vast improvements the surgery would make to my bite and jaw. I've been very fortunate with a great surgeon who was understanding about my nerves but also very matter-of-fact because they do this all the time and are trying to improve your health.

My face has not changed very much externally, no visible scars or movement, although there is a subtle change in my profile because of the jaw movements. The first week is horrible, I won't lie, but make sure you have regular pain medication and a support system in place, and get plenty of rest. Swelling recedes and bruising fades, and even though I still have some residual numbness which may not improve, most days I can forget I had surgery.

Good luck!!