Upper jaw surgery change in appearance?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ddetterline2

Upper jaw surgery change in appearance?

#1 Post by Ddetterline2 »

I’m suppose to be getting Lefort 1 aka upper jaw surgery getting it moved forward to correct an underbite and moved sideways to correct crossbite. I’m really insecure about it and the middle of my face is so flat as if I don’t have checks and I don’t look normal I’m pictures. My surgeon said he the goal is to keep me looking as much like myself as possible, because he asked me about my dislikes about my bite and face in general and I lied and said I was okay with my face, because I didn’t want him to think this was only cosmetic because it isn’t. So I’m wondering will my face start to look more normal and less flat after surgery? Have any of you had positive results from upper jaw surgery only? I know your face can only change but so much I’m not expecting a miracle just to look normal. Also my orthodontist wants me to wait s year to get the surgery so my braces can shift my teeth which I understand, but my underbite was pretty slight so I don’t understand why I have to wait so long my bite is worst already and it’s only been 2-3 months with them on and I can’t really pronounce certain words anymore and it’s more noticeable I’m hoping I don’t have to stay like this for a year. Is there anyway I can ask her to speed it up politely?

runrabbitrun

Re: Upper jaw surgery change in appearance?

#2 Post by runrabbitrun »

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question, but I can't stress enough HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST AND OPEN WITH YOUR SURGEON.

Saying it again for emphasis:

BE COMPLETELY HONEST AND OPEN WITH YOUR SURGEON.

This is your face, we're talking about here! Not being open with him will impact not just aesthetics, but possibly function, too. This is your chance to improve something that makes you self-conscious - that's an opportunity many would love but few are afforded.

You say that you're "not expecting a miracle" and just want "to look normal." You're doing your surgeon - and yourself - a huge disservice by telling him that you want to keep your current look as much as possible. He can't help you achieve the aesthetic result you're looking for if he's under the impression that you don't want anything to change aesthetically.

Another note: Be sure to google image search (or look at orthognathic surgery reviews/photos on realself.com) your procedure to see what kind of changes can result. For many, it can be dramatic (in a positive way), so don't discount what it can do for you (...IF you tell your surgeon what it is you want)!

Ddetterline2

#3 Post by Ddetterline2 »

Thank you for your advice I just don’t know how to go about telling him I don’t like my face especially after telling him it didn’t bother me... I just wanted to make sure he also knew it was functional so my insurance could pay for it because it hasn’t been approved yet only the braces have been approved since the surgery is a year away.

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

I concur with what runrabbitrun said. Tell your surgeon EVERYTHING! I told mine exactly how I wanted mine to look and she planned the procedure accordingly. She didn’t care at all that there might be cosmetic aspects to it, she was going to apply for insurance coverage based on the functional issues regardless. Be honest, or you may regret it later when you end up with results you’re not happy with!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!