Pulsating ear pain post op (double jaw surgery) after laying down

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raj

Pulsating ear pain post op (double jaw surgery) after laying down

#1 Post by raj »

Greetings!
I had double jaw surgery 2 weeks before (14th May 2018) and pain in the jaw area has gone down significantly after that.
Although, since day 3 post OP, I am having pulsating sharp ear pain on left side, as soon as I lay down to sleep. If I seat up straight, it goes away instantly. In short, pain kicks in as soon as I lay down to sleep. It is impossible to sleep without heavy pain medication. After surgery, I was prescribed liquid Ibuprofen and Hydrocodene-acetaminophen which are mild pain killers. Since, they both were ineffective I was prescribed more powerful pain killers which I have to take orally crushed into liquid. New pain medication works only for 3-4 hours and pain kicks in after that.
All this not able to sleep thing driving me crazy! :oops: Did anybody have similar experience? My doctor told me that it will get better over time. But, that was 1 week before and nothing has changed since then. I am open for any suggestion.

PierreDeFermat

Re: Pulsating ear pain post op (double jaw surgery) after laying down

#2 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Did your doctor say to alternate between the Norco (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) and ibuprofen? For the first 10 days or so I was alternating the medication so that I was taking something every two hours (obviously that depends on your dose and you should talk to your doctor about your medication schedule).

The ear pain is normal and caused by the pressure on your ear from the swelling in your jaw. When you lay down, the swelling will increase in that area and you will have more pain. I'm sure your surgeon told you to try to sleep with your head up as high as possible, even if it means making a pile of pillows or sleeping on the couch with a towel around your neck.

For the first two weeks I barely slept, but from week 2 to week 3 my swelling went down a lot and congestion cleared up enough that I finally got some rest. I know how much it sucks, but in the next week things will get MUCH easier.

Punakmouth

#3 Post by Punakmouth »

Pierre,
I had ear pain for a few days. I think day 9-13ish. Anyways, I asked for a second round of antibiotics because one of my children was sick and I made sure to sleep practically sitting straight up. It went away.

raj

#4 Post by raj »

[quote=PierreDeFermat post_id=502402 time=1527478276 user_id=31191]
Did your doctor say to alternate between the Norco (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) and ibuprofen? For the first 10 days or so I was alternating the medication so that I was taking something every two hours (obviously that depends on your dose and you should talk to your doctor about your medication schedule).

The ear pain is normal and caused by the pressure on your ear from the swelling in your jaw. When you lay down, the swelling will increase in that area and you will have more pain. I'm sure your surgeon told you to try to sleep with your head up as high as possible, even if it means making a pile of pillows or sleeping on the couch with a towel around your neck.

For the first two weeks I barely slept, but from week 2 to week 3 my swelling went down a lot and congestion cleared up enough that I finally got some rest. I know how much it sucks, but in the next week things will get MUCH easier.
[/quote]
Yes, both hydrocodone and Ibuprofen were ineffective. At one point, I was taking them combined to fight off unbearable pain. I have appointment with doctor after 2 days. Lets see if he can root cause it this time. I think I will survive 2 more nights without sleep.
I am still using 12" Wedge pillow and one normal pillow on top of that while sleeping. I noticed that when I sleep without pillows, it hurts a lot; but with head elevated, pain lessens. Glad to know that your pain went away starting week 3. Hopefully, things will get better for me too. I still have little bit of swelling on right side but no congestion since week 2. Its strange that I do not have any swelling on left side of face, but it hurts only near left side ear.

raj

#5 Post by raj »

Good news!! Got rid of ear pain. Culprit were tight rubber bands. After two weeks mark, doctor replaced tight rubber bands with loose ones. I am supposed to take them out during meal and put them back afterwards.
I slept straight 8:30 hours after two weeks of no sleep. I think today is the happiest day of my life!!

Punakmouth

#6 Post by Punakmouth »

Raj - Great news!!! :dance:

Ethel973

#7 Post by Ethel973 »

Hi! I’m new to this forum and I’m not sure how to create my own post.

However, I’m having the same issue with severe ear pain. It’s odd though, I had relatively no pain for the first four weeks out of surgery, but after my surgeon removed my splint within a few hours my ears were throbbing and my face has swollen almost to the size it was when I first got out of surgery. I’m taking all my pain meds he prescribed to make it through the day/ night. I haven’t gotten a good nights sleep in days, any suggestions?

(Side note: how do I make my own post?)

raj

#8 Post by raj »

Hello Ethel973,

I am sorry that you have to go through this pain! I had similar issue and it was fixed as soon as my surgeon removed those tight rubber bands. Although,I am surprised you got swollen face again. I would suggest that you should show to your doctor/surgeon as this could be infection. It's rare to get infection after 4 weeks post OP, regardless discuss with your doctor if swollenness is expected.

Here is the link on how to create new POST ->
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=49364

Ethel973

#9 Post by Ethel973 »

Thank you Raj! I did get a new band configuration, though it feels rather loose so I’m not sure it’s the cause. Unfortunately my surgeon lives some five hours away, I did text him however and he thinks my muscles and teeth and just adjusting to the lack of splint support. I’m not so sure though, thank you for the advice!

raj

#10 Post by raj »

If your doctor said that it's expected then there is nothing to worry about. Since you are at 4 weeks post OP mark, I'm sure that you are at your full energy level and your muscles will re-adjust quicker than you know it.