Need words of encouragement and also an opinion

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Veronicaxox2

Need words of encouragement and also an opinion

#1 Post by Veronicaxox2 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:26 am

I’ve had my braces on for two months now and honestly I don’t know if I can do this. I want jaw surgery more than anything, but my self esteem is EXTREMLY low always has been and the thought of my bite getting worse and my face getting longer is unbearable and then I’ll have to be that way for a year before they can fix it. She explained to me why I have to wait a year for surgery but I still can’t let that click in my head, because I never thought my bite was that bad, and a previous orthodontist claimed he could have me ready for the surgery within 6 months but unfortunately I couldn’t afford his treatment so I had to choose one that accepted my insurance. I am angry she’s also saying if my tmj gets worst she’ll have to take the braces off and can’t do the surgery and she just said it so calmly??? Is that normal for her to say I never heard of that before. She’s basically telling me there’s a chance she’ll make me look and feel worst and not fix it that made me so angry. I am so inpatient only 2 months in out of a year and my bite is already getting worst. I’m devestated and need some advice or success stories anything? And also is it strange she’s saying different than my last orthodontist about maybe having to remove them if my tmj which is one of the reasons I’m getting the surgery gets worst she has to take them off? And extending the wait period for surgery maybe every orthodontist is different not sure thoughts?

Veronicaxox2

Re: Need words of encouragement and also an opinion

#2 Post by Veronicaxox2 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 am

Ps when they say it’ll look worst do they mean my actual bite or will my face get longer to?

ikn91

#3 Post by ikn91 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:44 am

I don´t know what to say other than that this is just 1 year of your life, and the rest of it you can have the "perfect bite" and maybe get rid of your TMJ (though not supported by science). Try to make yourself busy with things, and when you´re down, try to imagine the price at the end. About the TMJ, I think they will get you braces to go to your initial bite? Anything else sound weird. However your teeth will try to go back to their normal position after braces when there is no retainer.

You should call the office and tell them all of your worries as they might calm you down. Wish you the best!

tommm31

#4 Post by tommm31 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:57 am

I´m in a similar situation. I am about 5 months in and I already feel the massive difference in the way i feel and also in my looks i´m afraid. and it´s normal. so my way to handle it is really that I see it as a one year project just to get to the surgery. the next project will be the recovery. Don´t get discoraged by the steps in between that are the same for everyone. the reward will be an overall increase in comfort and that´s deffinitely worth investing this time in. be patient with yourself, be good to your body and give yourself the time you need for the changes. The time passes quite quickly just keep yourself busy and positive.keep your eyes on the goal;)