June/ july 2018 surgery buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ikn91

June/ july 2018 surgery buddies

#1 Post by ikn91 »

Hi! I’m having my surgery, lefort 1, june 20th, and I can’t wait! I have class 3 bite. I’m hoping there are somebody else having surgery soon? Then please join this thread :jump:

Sizuka

Re: June/ july 2018 surgery buddies

#2 Post by Sizuka »

Hello :)

I got my palatal expander last week and at 29 May I have my SARPE+wisdom teeth removal surgery !
I also can't wait , as I was in waiting list for almost 6 months , so yea , lets do it to go to the next level :)

Jippy1989

#3 Post by Jippy1989 »

Hi! I can't believe I finally registered to this place after lurking for so long. :oops:

I'm having a 3-piece Lefort 1 + BSSO + genioplasty + wisdom teeth removal surgery on June 5th to correct an open bite. I'm really looking forward to it while at the same time anticipating that I'll feel like I've been hit by a bus when I wake up from anesthesia. It's all exciting while frightening at the same time. Anyhow, good luck to the two of you! :-1

ikn91

#4 Post by ikn91 »

So glad that there are at least two more with me! As you´re having surgery before me, I can´t wait for your updates :jump:

Sizuka

#5 Post by Sizuka »

Hello :)

11 days after the operation and I am actually great ! ( SARPE + wisdom teeth operation)
The first 4-5 days after operation was a bit tough , as I was too much swollen and of course in pain .
From day 5 I feel quite ok and from the 7th day I also stooped the painkillers .
Today , 11 days after operation , I have almost no sign of swollen and the bruises almost gone .

As I have no stable bone at the moment , and my teeth are in danger to become loose , I am still in soft food , and I am avoiding everything that need to chew .
I am at 7th day of expanding my hyrax , and I have 7-10 more to go , so till then no chewing for me .

Some tips :
1. Buy cool pack to have at home . Are a huge help to calm the swollen and itching .
2. Have some spoon + forks from silicon , or soft plastic . I was able to use a metal one only today 11 days after operation .
Especially my baby silicon spoons was a bless as I wasn't able to open the mouth enough , and you are also clumsy ( and hurts a lot )
3. Have puree + cream + noodles at hand . Just eat them in room temperature or cold . And Ice cream - that's the best , they give me a popsicle immediately after operation , even before I complete wake up from anesthesia .
4. Don't bent the head down :P . I did't 2 time after operation , and I have a lot of noise bleeding . The moment you bent the head , start feeling dizzy , so ... don't :) Its still the only thing ongoing . So look up and not bent .

I was able to speak from the moment I was out of the operation room . But as the stitches are moving with speaking , you are not able to talk a lot .
Even today , If I speak for some time , it hurts . So keep that in moderation , with breaks .

That's from me for now ! Good lack to the rest of you !

ikn91

#6 Post by ikn91 »

Congratulation Sizuka!

Do you see a big difference in apperence? Even though i´m getting a lefort 1, I´m now hoping my swelling will go away as fast as yours :lol:

It´s 11 days to mine :jump:

Mm12345

#7 Post by Mm12345 »

Hey, I had my surgery (both jaws) on May 10th. If you have any questions, I will answer them.:)
Hope everything goes well.

ikn91

#8 Post by ikn91 »

Congratulation Mm12345!
How do you feel now? 9th of may was my initial date, so i could be where you are now :´( Please give an update of each week. Are you able to insert pictures??

Mm12345

#9 Post by Mm12345 »

1st day and night after the surgery I didn't feel any pain but it was just really uncomftorable because I had tubes or drains (I don't know really what it is called in English haha) in my mouth. I couldn't sleep that night.
2nd day is really better, they removed the drains, them my swelling began growing and that just like pushes your face, it is annoying but doesn't hurt. Also I had ice on my face the whole time after the surgery.
The swelling grew for 3-4 days than it started to fall. I was in the hospital for 3 days after the surgery. The last day I got 2 bands I had to wear all the time except when eating.
For the entire first week of the surgery I fell weak, didn't have any pain, the swelling was just annoying and I couldn't drink without a syringe.
2nd week - the swelling goes down really dramatically, you can see the difference every day, I didn't feel any pain, I could sleep every night since the 2nd night, I began eating more, my favourites are blended fruits with cinnamon, I ate it with a small plastic spoon. Basically I ate liquid and almost liquid blended food.
3rd week- the swelling starts to remove so slowly two weeks after the peak of the swelling :( I started to feel a bit pain in my chin, also from day 1 I feel like tingles and vibrations in my chin and lower lip. The eating is the same, you really get used to it.
4th week - I didn't have to wear bands anymore and my surgeon said I should start chewing, he said to chew everything that doesn't cause any pain, they removed screws from my jaw also, my surgeon said that only 50% of the swelling has left, and that the rest will take months, he said I won't see the difference from day to day but I will see it from month to month .
5th week - I'm currently here haha, I feel good, my chin hurts a bit for moments still, but I guess it's just the nerves, when I try to chew it's so weird, like i don't know how to chew and everything is different, but it takes baby steps, you just shouldn't rush yourself.

Basically, whole first month was mostly painless, everything is a bit uncomfortable but managable. I lost 7 kilograms in first 2-3 weeks. I managed to study for my exams since week 2 and I went to college 3rd week a couple of time to write the exams. Now people that don't know me wouldn't notice the swelling, but my friends do. Also I still can't smile or do any facial expression normally.
My advice is just to be patient and everything will work out. Also my mum stayed home with me for 2 weeks after the surgery and helped me a lot. My friends visited me a lot. It helps to have a good support system. Maybe even the most important part.
I'm new here, I' don't know how to post photos:(
I hope everything goes well with the surgery. :)

ikn91

#10 Post by ikn91 »

Thanks for the update!

Painless is seems :P Yeah, the photo thing is annoying on this forum.. You have to submit 7-9 posts or something before they allow you to post that, and I have written more than that, but can still not do it...

Jippy1989

#11 Post by Jippy1989 »

Hi all!

I had my double jaw surgery 5 days ago and I'm doing pretty well. The first 48-72h have been harder than I expected I must say, but since then things have been going smoothly. :)

Surgery day: The surgery itself went a little bit longer than expected. I woke up in the middle of the afternoon in the post-anesthesia care unit by my friend (Maxilo surgeon, but don't worry he didn't perform the surgery on me lol) saying that he spoke to my doctor and that the surgery went very well. I was kinda feeling tired and feeling weird with all the medications. I asked right away to have a glass of water which I succeeded (not without struggle) drinking. 20 mins later I vomited old blood (my biggest fear was actually vomiting blood, it happens often as you swallow a lot of blood during the surgery. It wasn't that dramatic as I was high on some painkillers lol) I stayed for a while in the post-anesthesia care unit because they didn't have room for me :gavel: So I stayed there until 10h30PM :shock: A little bit before they asked me to stand and I was actually able to stand for a few seconds on my feet. Then at 10h45 when I got to my room I was able to go to the bathroom on my own. The most annoying part until then had been the swollowing. It's like it doesn't work, it's actually hard to explain and it had me a little bit stressed but I knew it had to be normal at this stage to have some deglutition issues...

The hospital personal was very nice and comprehensive, and I'm very thankful for that. The only downside is that they didn't inform my family about the surgury going longer than expected and therefore my family wasn't aware of my condition before 9h30PM (apparently it is not the post-anesthesia unit care to inform patients' family, go figure... So you can only guess in what stage my mom was in during that evening having no news from the hospital and living 1h30 away from the hospital where my surgery had been performed... :crazy:

1st day post-up: I slept okayish thanks to all the painkillers that had me feeling drownsy. They brought me food for the breakfast, I forced myself to eat and still I barely could eat anything. It was still good enough for me to get my leave and I left at around 11AM.

2nd day post-up: The most annoying part in days 1 and 2 is the spleeping part. I could barely get any for several reasons: excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing and laying on my back while sleeping is just everything but natural for me... :? Anyhow no pain whatsoever since I'm home. Only took a quarter of painkiller the first night just for the hell of it. It's more awkward than eveything else really.

3rd-4th days post-up: Things start to go in the right direction. Swallowing and swelling have improved and I'm actually able to go out for a walk and taking it easy.

As for the physical appearance, despite all the swelling I can see that my nose is a little bit different (in a good way, and I hope it stays in a good way lol) and of course my open bite has been closed. Though I can't really appreciated the new mouth yet as they placed a splinter in my upper arch and It's so swollen I can't see much of my upper teeth lol. Stay tuned for more details of my upper teeth in the upcoming posts :wink:

ikn91

#12 Post by ikn91 »

Thank you for the detailed post, Jippy1989! I also need a splint, and will have it 4-6 week. So then it will be a long time before the result is evident.

Now I can add my before photos!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ikn91

#13 Post by ikn91 »

I´m not getting braces before surgery, but might get it afterwards. Here is the bite after lefort 1 with 2,5 mm downward and 2,5 mm forward movement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mm12345

#14 Post by Mm12345 »

Does anybody know on what does it depend if you wear a splint or not?
I know my surgeon made a splint prior to the surgery but didn't require from me to wear it after the op.

ikn91

#15 Post by ikn91 »

I’m getting a splint since my bite wont fit perfectly sfter the operation, and so the bone will heal in peace. I guess guess they do it when there is need for more than a little adjustment postop.