June/ july 2018 surgery buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MiaAmare

Re: June/ july 2018 surgery buddies

#61 Post by MiaAmare »

I also had my surgery on June 20th! I've been searching for others who had a similar recovery to mine and then I came across this. It's my first time being here.

I was born with a cleft lip and palate and had gone through 13 surgeries but by far this is the worst recovery and the hardest I have to deal with. I had a double jaw surgery with bone grafting along with genioplasty since my previous two had failed and was not in a good condition even though my doctor said I don't need to do genioplasty but I went along with it if it makes me look better than before.

:!: Today marks 6 weeks and 1 day from post-op <- still on liquids only

Recovery had been a rollercoaster! I didn't have much bleeding from the nose nor my mouth. I am able to brush good now but not as normal as I normally would if I hadn't had a surgery, so I still struggle brushing.

I wasn't wired shut and I probably had bands less than a week because my jaw was able to close back to where it was supposed to be so I got lucky there.
I had massive severe headaches and ear pains which one ear led to ear infection but that is gone now. My headaches were gone this week, but I also started Physical Therapy (physiotherapy)

My doctor gave me popsicle sticks to use to help to open my mouth, he gave me around 22 sticks which should be close to around 40 mm that's how wide your mouth should open fully at the end or say 3 fingers since everyone's mouth varies. I can only fit 12 and that too is even painful. My mouth still decides to not open big and the furthest I can go is 12 mm right now and I needed to get around 30 for him to take out the splint. There are 4 different kinds of splints so I don't know what kind everyone has. My splint was supposed to be taken out 2 weeks ago but since I couldn't, he assigned me to physical therapy.

I still can't move my mouth/lip whenever I talk nor even close it and note its been 6 weeks from surgery. I have to go to therapy 3 times a week for an hr and honestly I rather be there than try doing on my own at home more. At first, I was very scared but they help a lot more. I should be getting my splint off on August 10th, so pray for me that I open my mouth wide enough. My orthodontist said I can start eating soft food a week ago but I am still scared so I am still sticking with liquids.

My friends say my face changed drastically from a round to a square, I even have a cheekbone line and jawline more noticeable. I love my results but the recovery has not been on my side.

I can't open wide enough for 2 fingers to fit in, move my lips, talk normally with my lips, nor eat. 6 weeks of post-op and I asked my therapist whether I'll be normal and can fully talk normally in 3 weeks since that's when my classes will start, and she said no. As of now, I've been breaking down a lot but never one I cried before these 6 weeks besides brushing since it was scary.

Kmany

#62 Post by Kmany »

I hope you do get the splint off soon - I found moving and talking much easier with it off. It's still not the same because of the numbness in lower lip and stiffness in jaw.

Did they suggest you to use warm compress on jaw with stretching? I am not able to open enough for orthodontics visit for retainers currently, and concerned I won't be able to at 8 weeks (like almost no chance as I can only open 2 fingers on a good day). Doctor suggested warm compress, but also that may be because of some strange pains I'm having.

Still, can't hurt to try heat to relax the muscles before you do your pysio exercises.

pumpernickel

#63 Post by pumpernickel »

Hi Everyone!

Just had my surgery on July 31st. Today marks one week post op. I think because I'm a noob, I can't see any of the photos posted in this thread.

I am an actress in LA well into my adulthood and having adult braces over the last year has been interesting to say the least. I am writing a webseries about adult braces, and would love to hear any of your embarrassing or funny stories that have happened to you because of your braces.

I am using the webseries instagram account for right now as a daily surgery update blog in a way, so if you'd like to check it out it's @braceyourselfseries.

Hope to connect with some of you. :)

-Lola

Jfullflow10

#64 Post by Jfullflow10 »

So my surgery was scheduled for July 19th but insurance decided to throw a wrench into plans BUT I was able to get it approved and just had my surgery on August 9th. Couple days in and it's not fun so far. The good and bad, they didn't have to manipulate my nerves too much so I should regain full feeling BUT the pain is bad because of that. I think I'd rather have pain over the risk of having numbness forever though. The swelling is very intense, surgery was 5 hours so that's not surprising. Moved my lower jaw 8mm forward and I can't remember how much they moved my upper. They were going to do a genioplasty but were very happy with the look and decided not to do that which was great because insurance wasn't going to pay for that portion. I was going to pay out of pocket for that. The congestion makes sleeping very difficult, sleeping with my mouth open, it becomes so dry so quickly. I am super excited to see how everything looks when the swelling starts to really subside. Probably have another day until I reach peak swelling though unfortunately. I never thought skin could stretch this far! Anyways, I'm very glad to be in the recovery portion now. My wife has been a rockstar with my meds and blending foods. My appetite came back relatively quick.

Nebcat

#65 Post by Nebcat »

Wow you are a real trooper! I was miserable 2 days after surgery but I think maybe I had a bad experience. I have an emergency appointment with my surgeon on Monday because I'm getting popping noises in my left jaw when I swallow. It does not hurt or anything but just constantly makes noises.

Jfullflow10

#66 Post by Jfullflow10 »

Well first day was the easiest day, it's been pretty bad since. Literally no appetite, have dropped 10lbs in 4 days now, swelling and pain are terrible. Also my swelling feels very cold, if that makes sense. Not from icing it, like it just feels cold. Trying to force myself to eat meals through a syringe is not fun but it's gotta be done.

eh1253

#67 Post by eh1253 »

Jfullflow10 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 pm Well first day was the easiest day, it's been pretty bad since. Literally no appetite, have dropped 10lbs in 4 days now, swelling and pain are terrible. Also my swelling feels very cold, if that makes sense. Not from icing it, like it just feels cold. Trying to force myself to eat meals through a syringe is not fun but it's gotta be done.
Around day 5 or so I discovered that I could drink from a cup and it was a GAME CHANGER in terms of getting enough calories and enjoying my meals lol. I was going crazy from the syringes cause they started tasting weird after so much use. So I guess I'm saying make sure you still gotta use the syringe! I also had a really really cold feeling but for me it was only on my chin where the nerves were waking up and confused...the skin didn't actually feel cold when I touched it.

Jfullflow10

#68 Post by Jfullflow10 »

Well been about 12 days now and I seem to finally have turned a corner for the better. Started maybe two days ago, swelling went down considerably, pain far more manageable, appetite fully back. So my lower jaw was moved 8mm and my upper almost a full CM. The difference in my airway size is incredible now. Already hearing from the wife that my snoring is minimal to none. It feels amazing sleeping without a CPAP. Also, my back molars being able to touch for the first time since I was a kid is pretty incredible. While the first 10 days were hell, it seems I'm through the worst now, knock on wood.

Nebcat

#69 Post by Nebcat »

It only gets easier! I'm now 8 weeks post op and am officially chewing food with my molars! It feels so weird and unnatural though but I think it's something you have to force yourself to do and it will slowly come back.

MiaAmare

#70 Post by MiaAmare »

[quote=Nebcat post_id=504121 time=1534879314 user_id=32165]
It only gets easier! I'm now 8 weeks post op and am officially chewing food with my molars! It feels so weird and unnatural though but I think it's something you have to force yourself to do and it will slowly come back.
[/quote]

I am on my 7 weeks and just got my splint out today. My gums are inflamed and swollen and bleed every time I brush my teeth. My tongue feels weird touching the roof of my mouth and its nasty up there. Did you had this problem or is it just me? I am scared to eat still.

Nebcat

#71 Post by Nebcat »

I actually never had a splint so I imagine it's a lot easier for me to chew because I've had more time to get used to my new jaw. Now that your splint is out though, you will start getting used to your jaw. Don't be afraid to eat! Trust me I'm terrified but the more you do it the easier it gets.

eh1253

#72 Post by eh1253 »

Has anyone experienced pain in their ears after surgery? I'm about 4 weeks out and now when I lay down my right ear starts hurting really badly after about 30 minutes. I'm not getting much sleep because of it.

Nebcat

#73 Post by Nebcat »

Yes the ear pain is normal. Are you lying down on your ear by any chance?

eh1253

#74 Post by eh1253 »

Nebcat wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:50 pm Yes the ear pain is normal. Are you lying down on your ear by any chance?
Good to know. No, I just lay flat on my back but maybe that changes the way I rest my jaw and causes the pain? IDK. The surgeon said the bands on my molars are causing the pain and to just take them out at night if it's severe, so I'll give that a try.

MiaAmare

#75 Post by MiaAmare »

[quote=Nebcat post_id=504195 time=1535151026 user_id=32165]
Yes the ear pain is normal. Are you lying down on your ear by any chance?
[/quote]

Yeah ear pain is normal and had an ear infection and I had several headaches also.

Has anyone's plate ever got infected??? Turns out one of my plate is infected and he'll be putting me into sleep to remove it. :( im scared