June/ july 2018 surgery buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mm12345

Re: June/ july 2018 surgery buddies

#16 Post by Mm12345 »

I just saw the photos. Hope you will post after photos also. I'm sure you will be pleased with the result. :)

Jippy1989

#17 Post by Jippy1989 »

In my case I've got a splint because I've had a 3-piece Lefort 1. I guess it is required for the recovery/hold all the 3 pieces together :lol:

Metalmouth23

#18 Post by Metalmouth23 »

So I have a set surgery date for July 17th. It’s nerve racking

Sideways

#19 Post by Sideways »

Mm12345 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 am Does anybody know on what does it depend if you wear a splint or not?
I know my surgeon made a splint prior to the surgery but didn't require from me to wear it after the op.
From my understanding, most cases will require a splint, especially if you get a segmental Le Fort where they split your upper jaw into several pieces.

The splint helps the surgeon figure out where to put your teeth during the operation, help your bones heal in the correct position afterwards, and guide your bite as your muscles acclimate the new bone positions. I imagine if you don't require a lot of bone movement, you could get away without a splint, though.

Mm12345

#20 Post by Mm12345 »

Just an update, im currently in week 6,
I’ve been feeling pain in my chin the whole week, especially when I talk more and also I have feeling in my whole chin(not at 100%, but I would say 50-70% depends on which place in the chin), my lip is stil kind of numb but it hurts when I bit it so thats good I guess.

Mm12345

#21 Post by Mm12345 »

Sideways wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 pm
Mm12345 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 am Does anybody know on what does it depend if you wear a splint or not?
I know my surgeon made a splint prior to the surgery but didn't require from me to wear it after the op.
From my understanding, most cases will require a splint, especially if you get a segmental Le Fort where they split your upper jaw into several pieces.

The splint helps the surgeon figure out where to put your teeth during the operation, help your bones heal in the correct position afterwards, and guide your bite as your muscles acclimate the new bone positions. I imagine if you don't require a lot of bone movement, you could get away without a splint, though.

Yeah, I guess thats it, I think my surgeon told me he used it during the surgery or something like that, I can’t really remeber.

Sizuka

#22 Post by Sizuka »

An update from me

Week 3 after the SARPE surgery .
The stitches are gone , but I still feel the gums swollen , especially after talking a bit .
I still have a spot under my left eye that its swollen most of the time .

As I am still expanding ( 33 turns this morning ) I have a constant "pulling" pain in my upper jaw .
My front tooth are really sensitive and the gum between the front tooth ( The dredfull GAP :GapToothed: :GapToothed: :GapToothed: ) its iching all the time .

I went back to work at day 12 after the operation . I am not doing any physical work , avoid bending and of course avoid speaking .
I can drive , go out and most of the time be normal . But I still have a lot of discomfort .
The Ortho and Jaw surgeon are extremely please with the results , so I am just waiting for the expand to stop , to be a bit relieved from the irritation .

sweetlittlelie

#23 Post by sweetlittlelie »

Hello!

I had my surgery on June 12th (upper & lower... no genioplasty as the surgeon decided that would have been 'too much'). Still quite swollen, but my face no longer feels like a pressure cooker! I'm assuming that means the swelling is going down... though it seems slow to me. But it hasn't even been a full week yet. I miss food. :(

I have my proper follow-up on Wednesday, and I'm a little nervous because I returned to the surgeon's office last Thursday to have them suction out my nose because I couldn't breathe... and while I was there they decided to remove the bands as well. They probably wouldn't do that if it would negatively affect anything, but it makes me nervous! And I'm sure they're going to put them back, so I'm going to have to relearn everything again.

ikn91

#24 Post by ikn91 »

Hello from the other side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ikn91

#25 Post by ikn91 »

I’m now on day 3, and i’m feeling great. I’ve had almost no pain, so I have been cutting down on the pain meds. Very little swelling. I’ve been out of the house to meet the surgeon on day 2, and he was surprised about how well I’m doing.

Here are some photos taken now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mm12345

#26 Post by Mm12345 »

Wow, you don't look that swollen, how come you're home so soon after the op?

ikn91

#27 Post by ikn91 »

Mm12345, I was an outpatient because i did it privately. You can read more about it in my other thread. After the surgery, I stayed for about 3 hours before I went home. It was so good to come home, but it was scary for my boyfriend because I passed out 2 times the first night when I went to the bathroom. I guess i was too high on morphine and it was also so warm in the apartment. I was so nauseous right before I passed out, but since then, everything has been good.

Chuckaluck

#28 Post by Chuckaluck »

May 30th surgery here. Got my splint out yesterday. Truly feels amazing. I’ve been near tears ever since since I can just close my mouth (for the first time!) and my teeth just touch (for the first time !). Still on soft foods but it is so profound not to have to kick out my lower jaw to touch my teeth together.

Mm12345

#29 Post by Mm12345 »

ikn91 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:57 am Mm12345, I was an outpatient because i did it privately. You can read more about it in my other thread. After the surgery, I stayed for about 3 hours before I went home. It was so good to come home, but it was scary for my boyfriend because I passed out 2 times the first night when I went to the bathroom. I guess i was too high on morphine and it was also so warm in the apartment. I was so nauseous right before I passed out, but since then, everything has been good.
Yeah, I believe you. I couldn’t wait to get home
After the op. I’m so glad everything is going good.:)

ikn91

#30 Post by ikn91 »

Mm12345, Thank you!
Chuckaluck, I´m getting my splint out in about 9 days, and then I´m just gonna wear it at night.

Today is day 5, and everything is good. I´ve been out and about the whole day, meeting friends, been shopping, and even worked out a little at home (push-ups etc.). I´m basically of pain meds, except right before I sleep as i think I wake up more because of a kind of pressure pain. Through the day I have no pain.

The swelling is there, but not that much. I guess it peaked day 3. I have two yellow bruises in each cheek.