Can’t deal with this splint

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

karatz22

Can’t deal with this splint

#1 Post by karatz22 »

Hi all. 1 week post 3-piece Lefort 1 maxillary advancement. I am feeling good- spent the first first sleeping a lot and icing constantly. My swelling has gone down significantly, I can breathe through my nose, and I’m only on Tylenol and Advil now.

I had my first post op check up today and my surgeon said the splint that’s wired on my upper teeth needs to be on for 6 weeks. I don’t know if I can do it! This splint is causing the worst pressure I’ve ever felt across my palate. The meds take the edge off but it’s a constant ache. Has anyone else had similar feelings with their splint? Please tell me I get used to is? I was thinking it’s been starting to bother me the past couple days because the feeling is starting to come back in the numb areas. I just feel like my head will explode.

So other than that I feel good and this whole experience has been better than I expected. I did forget to ask my surgeon if I can drink with a straw yet. I had 2 teeth extracted during surgery and the nurses told me no straw in case of a dry socket, but since the surgery was segmental I think they covered those empty sockets? I can’t talk well because of the splint so I don’t feel like calling my doctor’s office to ask. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

PierreDeFermat

Re: Can’t deal with this splint

#2 Post by PierreDeFermat »

You probably can't drink with a straw until the 4th week even if you didn't have extractions, but you should call the doctor's office to confirm. I'm almost to 3 weeks post-op and I still couldn't use a straw if I tried. I was able to drink from a cup around week 2 though which was amazing.

See if you can get the office email so you can send them questions if you can't call.

As you regain sensation you'll probably feel like your jaws/bite is really tight. This is normal, but just make sure you're not clenching and taking your Tylenol as prescribed.

The first week is the hardest, once you get to week 2 it should be smooth sailing!

Punakmouth

Re: Can’t deal with this splint

#3 Post by Punakmouth »

I had double jaw surgery (3 piece Le fort on top) and a genio on May 8th. Looks like we are pretty close in our surgery times. I have a splint on my upper arch and am basically wired shut with bands.

So far the splint hasn't been an issue for me compared to not being able to move my jaw at all.

My doctor's plans are to untie me at 2 weeks (this Monday 21st) at only 13 days, and then place regular bands in strategic places. He said he will remove the splint at 4 weeks, but because of my orthodontist's schedule was postponed till June 8th. Only four days more, but still!

Look in your mouth and see if there are any surgical wires/ties poking you. Maybe this is causing pain. You can use wax to cover them.

You can do it! I just keep telling myself one day at a time....