Positive experiences? Anyone end up only doing genioplasty?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

desertrose

Positive experiences? Anyone end up only doing genioplasty?

#1 Post by desertrose »

I have to be honest, but reading through a lot of this stuff is quite honestly scaring me a lot. It seems like a lot of people had unexpected negative results.

Add to my fear, I'm currently in insurance appeal phase and that's frustrating in itself. The ups and downs of emotional stuff as well. It's not been great for the people that are supposed to be my support system.

I'm at the point of contemplating just doing the sliding genioplasty and calling it a day. My braces are as far along as they can go without surgery, that already moved me about 5mm forward enough where I'm not in constant pain and if I don't hold my mouth open for long periods of time (like dental cleanings and x-rays) then it's manageable (before it was so bad I had migraines constantly).

Has anyone ended up just doing the sliding genioplasty? My chin I don't like but everything else I'm ok with (looks wise).

They wanted to move me in surgery like 7-8 mm forward (both jaws and genioplasty and rotate the top one up).

I just don't want to end up like a lot of these posts where people hate how they look afterwards. It's really scaring me.

desertrose

Re: Positive experiences? Anyone end up only doing genioplasty?

#2 Post by desertrose »

Well, after freaking out for a day. I think I’m going to move forward with my orthognathic surgery. My suppprt system pointed out that the sleep apnea I have is a serious issue and I need to address that.

Destiny2nobueno

#3 Post by Destiny2nobueno »

[quote=desertrose post_id=501403 time=1523050258 user_id=31671]
Well, after freaking out for a day. I think I’m going to move forward with my orthognathic surgery. My suppprt system pointed out that the sleep apnea I have is a serious issue and I need to address that.
[/quote]

Did you get a sleep test done prior or are they basing their concern off your xrays? I think it'd be pretty easy to tell just looking at a person's CEPH. Someone with a straw sized airway is at risk.

Run10KToday

#4 Post by Run10KToday »

desertrose wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm
Hi desertrose, can you share with me who is the surgeon you plan to go to? I'm currently seeking a reliable revision surgeon around AZ.
Thanks.

glennstanzalone

#5 Post by glennstanzalone »

Following for surgeon recommendations
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

desertrose

#6 Post by desertrose »

Hi all sorry for late reply I’ve been recovering from surgery.

The extreme migraines from my TMJ have been gone since surgery. Also I can breathe through my nose from both nostrils for the first time in my life.

My surgeon recommendation is Dr. James Bertz in Scottsdale. He has degrees in everything related to this surgery and is extremely experienced (degrees: dentist, oral & maxillofacial, and cosmetic). The guy has like 20+ awards too and spends his own money to do charity mission surgeries for cleft palette babies in other countries. I definitely recommend him.

desertrose

#7 Post by desertrose »

[quote=Destiny2nobueno post_id=501408 time=1523058286 user_id=31117]
[quote=desertrose post_id=501403 time=1523050258 user_id=31671]
Did you get a sleep test done prior or are they basing their concern off your xrays? I think it'd be pretty easy to tell just looking at a person's CEPH. Someone with a straw sized airway is at risk.
[/quote]

Yes, I did have sleep apnea test done it was ranked as being pretty bad. I’ve actually almost passed out from lack of oxygen when I was at a very smoky neighborhood party last year while everyone else was fine.

Surgery has really really increased my breathing. Every breath is just amazing. Before surgery I could barely get air from only one nostril (and started suffocating trying to do my dental molds). Now it’s so much air coming in there it’s insane to think I ever considered not doing this and had put it off 15 years.