Irritated Gums

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SamBracingForIt

Irritated Gums

#1 Post by SamBracingForIt »

Has anybody else experienced irritated gums? My gums feel, almost itchy, and it's kind of unrelenting. I'm doing my best trying to keep everything clean, but I'm just 1 week post op, so it's hard to get to everything, and I'm wired shut, so all I can really do is rinse. When I had braces when I was young, I never flossed and it cause my gums to become inflamed and grow down near my brackets, and I feel like that is what is starting to happen now. Has anybody else had swollen/almost growing gums tissue? I hope the gum growth isn't permanent. Impact my jaw to get rid of a gummy smile, and my gums are like "haha, well, we'll just get swollen and grow down. You can't get rid of us!!" Ughhhhh.

lajp

Re: Irritated Gums

#2 Post by lajp »

Wishing you well in healing and recovering. I don't know much, if anything really... about post-surgery type stuff. You mentioned rinsing is about all you can do? Are you able to brush your gums gently at all? Like you could get one of those gum brushers. I think they are made for brushing babies gums before they have teeth and/or elderly people who have lost most teeth.

Rinse with warm salt water at least 3 times a day. When I have mouth sores I rinse with warm salt water 3 times in one sitting, then do that when I feel like but I rinse 3x per "once a day".

Do you have Orajel or antibiotics from the doc?
Braced: 6 March 2018
self-ligating ceramic and metal brackets combo
Estimated Treatment Time: 22 months

SamBracingForIt

Re: Irritated Gums

#3 Post by SamBracingForIt »

i survived the itchy gums! i just rinsed with salt water after every meal, brush gently with a baby toothbrush, and started using a water pik at about 1 week post op. I was given the green light by my surgeon, but I was told only to aim it at my teeth, so as to not accidentally disrupt any of the stitches in the areas where my gums were still healing.