April 18 Surgery Buddies...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MoJo2685

Re: April 18 Surgery Buddies...

#76 Post by MoJo2685 »

That is a small little desert world. And that is the exact video. When she said that it was such an ah-ha moment. When people would tell me it was all mental and I just needed to work past it I thought that I was just overdramatic.
And holy moly. You had the works done didn't you? But much better to do it all at once than multiple times. I know that if I hadn't done my nose at the same time as my jaw I probably never would have. And recovery really cemented that as far as plastic surgery goes I've pretty much reached my limit.

runrabbitrun

#77 Post by runrabbitrun »

MoJo2685 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:26 pm
Run, It was crazy to me when someone pointed out that this surgery would make running easier. I was scrolling through YouTube videos and this girl mentioned how amazing it was post surgery when she started running and could actually breathe properly. She like me had always struggled through running and just thought this was how it went. You run, you look hideous and red, you gasp for air the whole time.
Allegedly that is not how everyone experiences cardio. Who knew? When I was jogging Friday I was blown away. Once I get any sort of endurance back it's going to be a whole new ball game. It felt so good.
Haha, wellll - Chiming in here from the other end of the running spectrum! I was one of those crazy long-distance runners who never quite understood the getting red, gasping, etc. And then one day, I just started to hate running because I couldn't do it anymore. I'm sure it was a bit more gradual than that, but it honestly felt like I went from running 6-10 miles a day to feeling like 1/2 mile was impossible and awful. Instead of the gasping for air and redness, I'd get a tightness in my chest, cold sweat, nausea, and a feeling that I was running against pudding. Now, knowing that it was an airway issue, I can totally understand how running just isn't possible (or enjoyable) for some. I'm stoked for you to discover how wonderful running can be once you, know - you can actually breathe!!

Punakmouth: PdF is exactly right on the upper lip stitch. That's what my surgeon removed at my last appt. because it was incredibly uncomfortable. But, he said the alar stitch should help prevent "losing" the upper lip fullness and changing the base of the nose too much. My nose looks REALLY different, but mostly in the bridge, and the changes are very positive. Hopefully, our lips will look back to normal once the swelling subsides!

PdF: Sounds like things are going much better now that you hacked up that clot! :lol: I still can't fathom having all of that done at once - I had a septoplasty about a decade ago in HS, and the thought of adding that on top of the DJS, PLUS all the tissue work on top of that...no wonder you were feeling congested! Crazy that you're from AZ as well - small world!

I woke up this morning with a bit of a sore throat, which is kind of terrifying - the last time I was on antibiotics, I got strep the day after I finished them. Just finished my antibiotics yesterday so... :?

MoJo2685

#78 Post by MoJo2685 »

Haha I have a love hate with running. Mostly I'm very motivated by shiny things and feel like if I have paid for a race I at least have to pretend to be ready for it. But I've always been all about the run/walk method. I even made my surgeon wait a week on my surgery date because I was doing a half the week they originally wanted it scheduled.

I went for 2 miles today. And while it was still a run/walk it was because only my second run in a month. The breathing was AMAZING. Seriously, I can't wait for you guys to get light exercise cleared. That was such a complete change. I do think I have to think more about it right now though. Like I had to remind myself that I wasn't actually struggling. A whole new world.

runrabbitrun

#79 Post by runrabbitrun »

Yes, already felt it on the indoor spin bike! I was like holy sh*t, I'm not even trying! It was amazing. I'm seriously itching to get running again.

On an unrelated note - has anyone else experienced a lot of pressure on their teeth (note- I don't have braces)? For whatever reason, my teeth suddenly feel almost crowded, like they're all pushing on one another. I wouldn't go as far to say it's painful, but it's definitely an uncomfortable achy feeling.

N2Deep

#80 Post by N2Deep »

Mojo lol @ 2 miles being light exercise :lol: That's like a full workout for me.

I had mild asthma before surgery but since then I've felt much less asthmatic. It could also have something to do with my new regimen of 2 tspn of apple cider vinegar in water twice a day. A healthy yeast balance can clear up all sorts of things. It truly is a wonder 'drug'.

I'm definitely itching to see how the increased airflow helps me personally with working out. Just existing is already easier than it was before. I could usually breathe 'fine' while working out, but then suffer the rest of the night, so maybe my breathing wasn't so fine and I was actually oxygen starved.

Talking, breathing, and sleeping are already so much easier. Can't wait to dive into eating!

MoJo2685

#81 Post by MoJo2685 »

RunRabit- I would agree to it feeling a little crowded. I think the fact that our jaw moved forward puts it in an unfamiliar position. That with the swelling just making me uncomfortable even though its gonna down a ton. By the end of the day, especially if I have been talking a lot I feel like I have to super concentrate on how to position things so I'm not biting down on soft tissue.

N2Deep please know that I didn't run the whole time. But my favorite path is a trail by the water. Its a mile out, then I have to get back somehow. 😂😂 But when I'm actually in shape it's the best because I know its pretty flat and I can just knock out a quick 20 minutes and be much less stressy and cranky.

runrabbitrun

#82 Post by runrabbitrun »

MoJo2685 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 pm
RunRabit- I would agree to it feeling a little crowded. I think the fact that our jaw moved forward puts it in an unfamiliar position. That with the swelling just making me uncomfortable even though its gonna down a ton. By the end of the day, especially if I have been talking a lot I feel like I have to super concentrate on how to position things so I'm not biting down on soft tissue.

Okay, phew - your description is spot on with what I'm experiencing. I'll bring it up w/ my surgeon next week but sounds normal. I think because there's still a good deal of numbness, no position feels quite right yet!

MoJo2685

#83 Post by MoJo2685 »

So after two(ish) weeks back at work its becoming apparent most people don't really notice the differences in my face. Which to me who has spent the better part of the last 6 weeks examining for even the most subtle differences. 😂😂
I know that my nose is not where it will end up when it is final form, but right now I'm in this weird stage where everyone is telling me I look good or normal, and I am struggling with how to adapt to the new shapes.

N2Deep

#84 Post by N2Deep »

Yeah it's amazing the things we notice about ourselves that no one else even cares about. My coworkers said they notice my lower jaw is different if they really look, but almost no one notices my upper jaw which moved the most!

My biggest realization after two weeks at work is the slow and incremental way stress has an impact on the body. After having a month off I was more relaxed, could breathe better, move better, and think more clearly. And little by little my joints hurt more, my breathing is a little tighter, and its harder to concentrate on the task at hand.

I'm trying to find more calm moments at work to unwind because I don't want to forget how to relax again. I don't think I had truly relaxed for years before this surgery. Now to plan my next medical escape from work :twisted:

PierreDeFermat

#85 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Stress can have an impact on the body, but I think it's also because you're way more "active" now that you're back at work instead of taking it easy at home. How many weeks post op are you now?

I just met with my surgeon today, waited 1.5 hours for a 5 min appointment. He adjusted my bands and now I've got 3 instead of 2. Worse than that, my arch bar removal is scheduled for 2 weeks instead of 1, and is an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia.

While the doctor said I can eat soft foods now, I still can barely open my mouth enough to get food in there let alone chew so that's probably out of the question until the arch bars are off.

Needless to say I'm again very disheartened by how long this process is taking (6+ weeks), but I suppose the result will only be seen at the 3 month sleep test.

MoJo2685

#86 Post by MoJo2685 »

Only two people have really said anything about me being different. One was the first day I went back, and was helping prep a training class for their assessments. Which requires a lot of talking. One of the guys in the class asked me if I always had a lisp. Broke my heart. Lol Then another person asked if my braces always looked so big. But really it's just because you can actually see my bottom braces now.

Pierre just buy a set of toddler silverware. They fit when you can only open so far.

N2Deep

#87 Post by N2Deep »

Monday will be six weeks for me. The surgeon just cleared me to exercise again and eat whatever I feel comfortable with, just no crunchy or tough foods. So last night I tried some fries and a bite of a quesadilla - success! I did cheat the other day and had a bowl of Mac and cheese with a veggie burger, bit it was fairly difficult then. I think I'm getting the hang of eating in this new arrangement now. It definitely helps I got the surgical hooks removed on Tuesday. And I can allllllost open my mouth to three fingers. I'm willing to bet in a week I will get there.

Pierre that's crazy you have to go back under to have the archbars removed. I was lucky enough not to have those. Stay strong and just know that it will be worth it in the end.

As far as sleeping goes, I've always been a mouth breather. I was hoping that would change with my newfound ability to breathe through my nose, but alas I still wake up with a dry mouth like I've had it open all night. Maybe with time my subconscious will relax and stop opening my mouth as soon as I fall asleep.

PierreDeFermat

#88 Post by PierreDeFermat »

N2Deep,

You should try to consciously breath through your nose during the day. It will take some time but in a few weeks your body should adjust and start doing it automatically.

Very jealous you guys are already back to eating! I'll take a look at the infant spoons today, Mojo.

MoJo2685

#89 Post by MoJo2685 »

N2Deep I hit 6 weeks Tuesday. My surgical team does post op clinics on Mondays. At my 4 week they just said okay see ya in two weeks. Took me 4 days to look at a calendar and realise that meant Memorial Day. And that 100% they were going to be closed. ☹ But I emailed one of them and he said the same thing. At that mark I can start chewing just nothing super crunchy. I gotta say my digestive tract is going to be so confused. Because I have become the master at figuring out food that I can just swallow and not chew, that I probably shouldn't be. I'm almost at 3 fingers.
I used to be such a terrible mouth breather/snorer. Especially if I was the least bit congested. I actually downloaded a sleep app after surgery that records any sounds while I sleep. All the noise now is just me or my dog switching positions. Its amazing. As uncomfortable as this all has been, I am so happy with the results already. Now I just really want the surgical hooks off. Then the braces a few months later (fingers crossed).

runrabbitrun

#90 Post by runrabbitrun »

MoJo2685 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 pm
One of the guys in the class asked me if I always had a lisp. Broke my heart. Lol Then another person asked if my braces always looked so big. But really it's just because you can actually see my bottom braces now.

Pierre just buy a set of toddler silverware. They fit when you can only open so far.
Mojo:

... tha f*ck?? Your colleagues are either socially inept or d*cks (or both). I honestly don't know how people can be so tactless! Sorry to hear that returning to the office was met with comments like that. I've already made tons of jokes to my colleagues about how much I'm drooling and mumbling now, so hopefully, when I go back, I'll be less caught off-guard by comments about my appearance or inability to control all the gunk coming out of my nose and mouth. For me, I look at it like - Okay, I've obviously had major surgery, and I'm still recovering, so I might as well own it and laugh it off.

N2Deep:

I was always a mouth breather pre-surgery, so I can empathize. Even during my CPAP trial, I'd manage to somehow stretch my chin strap off while asleep (*if* I even got to sleep, which was rare). I'm still sleeping with my jaw bra, partially because the ice feels good when I sleep, but more so because it's helping me to learn how to breathe out of my nose. I went on a little hike today and found I was only breathing out of my nose(without thinking about it - that would have NEVER happened pre-surgery), so it seems to be helping! Can't hurt giving it a try if you're still having trouble with mouth-breathing. You mentioned you didn't have arch bars - did you also have IMF screws? And if so, did you already get them removed?

I LOLed at your comment about "foods I can just swallow and not chew, that I probably shouldn't be"... you and me both! :lol:

PdF:
Ugh, I'm so sorry this is taking so long! Did they give you a specific reason why you have to go under for removal?
Huge 2nd on Mojo's rec for baby utensils - that's what I've been using, and I suspect that's why I was able to manage soft foods early on.

I'm getting to that point where I'm super paranoid about stuff that's probably nbd... I reached peak allergies-from-hell level today and I'm sneezing a lot - like 4 in a row every 30-45min. I know we're not supposed to blow our noses, so I'm a little worried this is going to knock stuff loose or something. My nose is also running like a faucet, which is insanely irritating. Also freaking out because I've convinced myself that my teeth are moving - the top row looks kind of crooked all of a sudden. I know it's all in my head, but can't wait to see my doc on Tuesday to (hopefully) reassure me that all is fine.