April 18 Surgery Buddies...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RachF

April 18 Surgery Buddies...

#1 Post by RachF »

I finally have my surgery date for 20th April 18, anyone else with an April date want to join me?

I am having Lefort 1, BSSO and possibly Genio (I think) so top jaw up, lower jaw forwards and possibly chin work.

Punakmouth

Re: April 18 Surgery Buddies...

#2 Post by Punakmouth »

My surgery is scheduled for May 8th. I haven't had my CT Scan yet or my pre-op but I will join you!

runrabbitrun

#3 Post by runrabbitrun »

I don't yet have a surgery date set in stone just yet (waiting on the hospital, of all things), but should be booked early-to-mid April!

I believe I'm getting a Lefort 1 and BSSO; primarily to resolve severe obstructive sleep apnea. I've been fighting my health insurance for coverage for the past two months, so I'm pretty stoked that it's finally been approved!

PierreDeFermat

#4 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Do you need any CCW rotation or a genioplasty? Both will dramatically improve lower third strength if you have any mandibular deficiency.

runrabbitrun

#5 Post by runrabbitrun »

[quote=PierreDeFermat post_id=501022 time=1521392381 user_id=31191]
Do you need any CCW rotation or a genioplasty? Both will dramatically improve lower third strength if you have any mandibular deficiency.
[/quote]

Yes, definitely CCW rotation - my surgeon said this would yield the best result for both airway advancement and aesthetics. Based on my CT scans, he said a genioplasty wouldn't be necessary for opening up the airway more, so I'm assuming that would be solely for aesthetics, if we decided to go that route. We'll be reviewing the virtual surgical plan images at my next appointment, so I think it'll be helpful to see what he expects the result will be without one, and then move forward from there.

runrabbitrun

#6 Post by runrabbitrun »

I stand corrected - just got my pre-op paperwork, which includes:

Lefort I with Bone Graft
BSSO
Genioglossus Advancement
Arch Bar Placement

Officially booked for May 9 :D

A bit later than I hoped, but will give me more time to plan for being OOO for almost a month. Figure it's better to go in with as little stress as possible.

xjoe28

#7 Post by xjoe28 »

Good luck guys!
You will all be FINE. Recovery will NOT be easy physically or mentally. But it will be worth it. Cant wait to check back here in a couple months to hear your success stories!

PierreDeFermat

#8 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Did you guys get to see your VSP or cephalometric tracings? I just had my pre-op visit to meet with the surgeon to go over the surgery, but he didn't have a "final VSP done yet." Needless to say I was extremely disappointed I didn't get to see any renderings or predictions...

I'm having Lefort 1, BSSO (with CCW), sliding genioplasty, and a little bit of UPPP. IIRC he's trying to get 15mm of advacement from pogonion (8mm from BSSO, 7mm from genio) but I'm going to call them next week to see if they have all the details finished so I can take a look.

My surgery is April 28th and the surgeon said I'll be in the hospital for 3 days...

PierreDeFermat

#9 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Good luck tomorrow, Rach! Please let us know how it goes!

runrabbitrun

#10 Post by runrabbitrun »

RachF wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 am I finally have my surgery date for 20th April 18, anyone else with an April date want to join me?

I am having Lefort 1, BSSO and possibly Genio (I think) so top jaw up, lower jaw forwards and possibly chin work.
Wishing you a very successful surgery and a speedy recovery!

runrabbitrun

#11 Post by runrabbitrun »

PierreDeFermat wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:35 pm Did you guys get to see your VSP or cephalometric tracings? I just had my pre-op visit to meet with the surgeon to go over the surgery, but he didn't have a "final VSP done yet." Needless to say I was extremely disappointed I didn't get to see any renderings or predictions...

I'm having Lefort 1, BSSO (with CCW), sliding genioplasty, and a little bit of UPPP. IIRC he's trying to get 15mm of advacement from pogonion (8mm from BSSO, 7mm from genio) but I'm going to call them next week to see if they have all the details finished so I can take a look.

My surgery is April 28th and the surgeon said I'll be in the hospital for 3 days...

Oh man, I'd be so bummed :( My pre-op is Thursday and that's what I was hoping to see, fingers crossed they have a final VSP - I feel like that will help calm some of my nerves in these last few weeks leading up to the surgery. I'd call them and ask if you can come back to review them before the surgery - no hurt in asking, and it's worth peace of mind.

Doc said we'd likely be looking at 11mm advancement. I feel like we didn't talk much about the genio the first appt, so that's where most of my questions will be focused on Thursday. I'm surprised that you're estimated for 3 days - I'm only booked for 1, granted I'm not getting UPPP as well...wonder if that's why?

PierreDeFermat

#12 Post by PierreDeFermat »

I assume he will be splitting your 11mm between the BSSO and genio (8/3 respectively) to help ensure your result is stable.

I called the surgeon's office and they said they would forward me the final VSP as soon as they received it (the company has to finalize it), I suggest you do the same so you can ask specific questions during your consultation.

If somebody were going to rearrange your face you'd probably want to see a blue print first...

PierreDeFermat

#13 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Got a full VSP report a few days ago which included a table with all the movements, very satisfied.

Here's a sample shot:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

runrabbitrun

#14 Post by runrabbitrun »

Glad you got your VSP report! My surgeon sent me mine at my appointment as well - he said he can send the soft-tissue version my way once it's done.

My VSP:
Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 12.22.07 PM.jpg

Lots of movement, it seems...which I was aware of, but it's crazy to see the actual plan. Feeling much better now that I can visualize it, though. A few other updates that helped ease my nerves:

- I'll be in the intensive care unit after surgery so that they can better monitor my heart and breathing; even though all my cardio tests came back in great shape, I was concerned about effects of anesthesia because of OSA (which is why I'm having this surgery). Doc agreed and said intensive care unit makes more sense for post-op recovery.

- I'll be getting botox shots in my TMJ ~5 days before surgery to help prevent me from clenching and grinding after surgery
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PierreDeFermat

#15 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Awesome, hope you're excited!

Do you have any problems with your TMJs? Has your doctor spoken to you about condylar resorption?

It's interesting that the genioplasty isn't present in the surgical plan, I assume that is because the surgeon wants to check soft-tissue response after positioning the maxilla/mandible.