8 weeks post op with my Highs and Lows

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ghen

8 weeks post op with my Highs and Lows

#1 Post by Ghen »

I had a Lefort 1 done on December 18th. Its now 8 weeks after the surgery. The first month after my surgery was very rough. My 21st birthday was the 11th and I didnt get to celebrate too much with my surgery and finals being so close together so that kinda aided in my overall lows to begin with. Before the surgery I felt I was very knowledgeable with everything that was going to happen and was actually excited since it had been something I knew would happen for about 2 years up to this point. However, post-op for about the first 4 weeks was rough. To see the change in my face and not recognize the person looking back at me was very weird and saddening. I had made friends, had relationships, and done everything in my life with the face I had before. I might be sounding dramatic but they were and still are big changes to me so it was hard to take in. I experienced very low lows and a depression I had never felt before. So much so, I was accepted into my dream school for the new upcoming semester. Mentally however I was not in the right place and as a result put off my enrollment. Functionality wise everything went ok and I could now proceed to get my braces off. But at the time seeing myself in the mirror just defeated functionality. My surgeon was overall pleased as well as his residents and they all complimented me on my new look. Family as well. Some friends stopped by to see me on new years eve and I was so embarrassed to see them thinking "They are gonna think I'm a monster now." Not sure why it surprised me, being that they are my friends, having them say I barley looked any different. We talked like normal which was very nice after about a month of little contact with anyone. Still thinking they were being nice, I met more friends and with each of them commenting on how I looked little/not that different was nice. And for the most part people who noted the change said it was for the better. Recently I had an ex reach out to me and she even said I looked better which was cool lol. My last posts on here didnt get responses or looked at (not too sure how to check to make certain). Those firsts posts were me trapped in my room searching for hours a day looking for people who were either happy, sad, regret, encouraged or just had anything to say about their surgeries if they were similar to mine. Im not sure if this post will warrant anyone to reply or read it. But if for some weird reason you do, and you are sad or scared or wondering about jaw surgery, I just want to say that you should for sure consult your with your surgeon about any and ALL questions you have. Dont go into anything like this blind or with doubt. Gather friends and family around you because simple human contact can help in your worst times, believe me. And take everything you see on here with a grain of salt. I spent hours looking for good about the surgery, and I found it. I spent DAYS looking at all the possible wrong outcomes of the surgery, and I found that too. And the more bad I found, even with a multitude of good outcomes, it just weighed me down more. I found forums where people apparently sit online and judge every little trait about the human face and it took me to lows I had never been before. Comparing myself to people I had never even met or seen drove me insane and left me broken for days at a time. Again, I may sound extreme when I say all this because I have seen countless posts on here of people kicking ass after this surgery and liking the outcome. I mainly intend this for anyone, if at all, who is going through a rough time with any jaw surgery. I do plan to do updates regardless of if this gets any attention or not, in the hopes that maybe one day someone will come across this and find out they arent alone in their endeavors.

NYCsmile

Re: 8 weeks post op with my Highs and Lows

#2 Post by NYCsmile »

Hang in there! I know it must be hard. With time you’ll get used to your new look & be happy you had the surgery

Ghen

#3 Post by Ghen »

Thanks for the reply. I guess I didnt mention the part where I am starting to get used to my face :D . Its been a long road but to look in the mirror every day and see my new face look back at me its gotten more and more normal. Its only the second month and from what I hear there are still changes to come so we will see. Adding that to my OG post, I would like to say that in general this surgery creates positive changes and I have seen few examples where someone has come out worse than before. Its not a little surgery to take on but if its something you need done I say go for it. Just make sure to consult more than one surgeon. I say get multiple opinions before deciding the route. In general, I think it was for the best and every day I am more and more pleased with my results.

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

Ghen, I’m glad to hear you’re getting used to your new face. That’s the hardest part of recovery for most people, it seems. It took me a year or more to get used to catching glimpses of my reflection. You’ll get more and more used to it over time. Rock on! :rawk:
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Kellyk282

#5 Post by Kellyk282 »

I'm only a week post op from a BSSO/Genio and also, my septum was so deviated they had to straighten my nose to intubate me. It's been emotionally hard. I'm obviously very swollen still, but I dont want to go in public and its weird not looking like me. I think I look like a monster. I'm trying to build myself up and prepare myself, so I can totally sympathize with you

snapdresser

#6 Post by snapdresser »

We’ve all been there, KellyK. Welcome to recovery :lol: :roll:
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018