How long did you spend in braces before getting jaw surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

INBC

How long did you spend in braces before getting jaw surgery?

#1 Post by INBC »

Hi, just wondering what everyone's experience was with this. How long were you in braces before the surgery? Did you have to have braces again afterward?

The first ortho I consulted with told me that I'd have to spend 2 yrs in braces :shock:

lolabee

Re: How long did you spend in braces before getting jaw surgery?

#2 Post by lolabee »

I had braces as a kid for 4 1/2 long years because they put braces on my front teeth and then waited for me to lose my baby molars before putting the rest of the braces on. I had the full braces on for 2 years. Now as an adult (with straight teeth) I've had to get braces on again purely to undergo the jaw surgery (talk about a humbling experience!) I got them on Dec. 1 2017 and my surgery is scheduled for July 2018 (so approx. 7 1/2 months) The reason for this is that they actually want to create an overbite (which was corrected with my previous braces) so they have more forward jaw movement- so I get to wear elastics 24/7 leading up to my surgery to MAKE an overbite..SHEESH! I've been told I'll have to have braces for approx. 6 months following the surgery. It really depends on your teeth and what they need to do, but it seems like most people have to have braces for about 1-2 years if they've never had them before.