SWELLING AND STUGGLES

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nikizadeh

SWELLING AND STUGGLES

#1 Post by Nikizadeh »

Hi! I’m currently 4 weeks post op from a two piece Lefort and a BSSO? I think? (to be honest idk what they did all I know is my upper jaw was expanded and moved forward 2-3mm and my lower jaw was advanced a whole centimeter).

I’ve been a long time reader and I decided i should post because I need advice.

These past weeks have been ROUGH AS HECK let me tell you. But things are getting better. My mental health took a real toll as I felt and still feel disgusting and regret my surgery. This swelling IS NOT going away.

My nose is wider, my cheeks and upper lip and still puffed, my entire mouth area is stiff (can’t smile properly), my skin and hair are sooo oily, and my lips don’t meet still.

I just need to know, will I ever look normal again? My nose seems so much wider and bigger but idk if it will go down. Someone please tell me if I will look normal again and how to reduce this swelling!!!!!!!!

glennstanzalone

Re: SWELLING AND STUGGLES

#2 Post by glennstanzalone »

Lots of physical activity, lots of tumeric and arnica, low sodium. I’m 17 months post op and I still have swollen days. I can look back and see I was still swollen up to a year post op. I looked “normal” around 9 months. You are so so so early on.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

PierreDeFermat

Re: SWELLING AND STUGGLES

#3 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Did you ask your surgeon if the swelling was abnormal? He/she is the first person you should consult about an issue like this.

Major swelling often persists for up to a month after surgery (especially considering how much movement you had), and minor swelling up to one year. The maxillia (upper jaw) and lips are usually the most swollen areas, and based on your description it sounds like your body is having the same response that 99% of patients have after jaw surgery. It's pretty very that people look worse after orthognathic surgery, and I honestly think you need to wait until around 3 months before you even consider the aesthetic results. (Just google "Double jaw surgery swelling" and you'll see what I'm talking about).

Generally, you should NOT engage in heavy physical activity for at least a few months post-op as that can lead to clenching and/or bleeding which can affect the results/stability of your surgery. (Again, ask your surgeon).