Lip incompetence after double jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pequod

Lip incompetence after double jaw surgery

#1 Post by Pequod »

Hi everyone,

New account since I can't find my old username/password.

Short summary: Had double jaw surgery (L1 + BSSO) done to fix a 6mm open bite over 3 years ago (in NYC region if anyone wants my opinions on doctors in the area as I became friends with someone else who went through the process; so you'll get a sample size of 2 information). Overall things improved but I still have about 7mm lip incompetence + mentalis strain; better than before but still unacceptably high and this 7mm comes into play at all times since it's your resting posture.

At this point I'm going to seek out opinions on how to fix this. Considering 1.) Sliding genio if it works for my profile which should move the soft tissue in a 1:1 ratio with the bone, maybe going halfway will be enough. In the process of scheduling a consult with Arnett-Gunson to examine this option 2.) maybe also braces + TADS to move everything up (my one regret in the process is not pursuing this immediately after the surgery before the teeth were yanked down with elastics in the final touch up). If the molars were 2mm higher after the surgery, the front would swing forward ~5mm more and I wouldn't be at this stage.

Has anyone dealt with similar lip incompetence problems after surgery?

Also if anyone has any questions about my experience for their own research I'd be happy to share any details.

tdawg7669

Re: Lip incompetence after double jaw surgery

#2 Post by tdawg7669 »

Hey I wanted to pm you as I had a similar experience in NY(and Id rather not publicly talk about the surgeon), but it doesnt look like I can for some reason.

Pequod

#3 Post by Pequod »

It's a brand new account, let me figure out why messaging is disabled

gira23

#4 Post by gira23 »

Hi,

I'm also in the NY region and am currently starting the process of researching doctors in the area. If you could pass along the opinions of yourself and your friend, that would be greatly appreciated!

Pequod

#5 Post by Pequod »

I'm unable to message you.

fanserviced

#6 Post by fanserviced »

:shock: My paranoia (I’m in the NYC area and looking at surgeons now) has spiked, I’ll PM once my account is fully active.

snapdresser

#7 Post by snapdresser »

fanserviced wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:28 pm :shock: My paranoia (I’m in the NYC area and looking at surgeons now) has spiked, I’ll PM once my account is fully active.
Who are you considering?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

marycotter1982

#8 Post by marycotter1982 »

I am also in NY area and would like to get in touch with all of you but cant private message??

snapdresser

#9 Post by snapdresser »

marycotter1982 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 am I am also in NY area and would like to get in touch with all of you but cant private message??
That’s because your account doesn’t have full credentials yet. You can only PM after you’ve confirmed your account and posted some number of times IIRC.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018