Sad Hours :(

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

josh5464

Sad Hours :(

#1 Post by josh5464 »

Hi, there are days that I wish I wasn't alive and nearly every day I wish I never mouthbreathed. Here is a picture of me now, after 8 years of 24/7 mouthbreathing and a chronic stuffed nose.
https://i.imgur.com/uLXwVYw.jpg
how do I look? haha I'm kidding. Would you guess that I'm 16, healthy bmi and decently fit?

here's another pic comparing me before I mouthbreathed and me after. Nobody even recognizes me anymore, and it's not just because I've gotten older. As in, they refuse to believe that could've been me.
https://i.imgur.com/piDmfhX.jpg

Can anybody give me their opinion on what my case looks like? whether it seems that my midface/maxilla is retruded or my bottom jaw and chin.

I won't bother giving my full story and all the failures in my life that started when I began getting allergies at 7 years old, I've posted it on other forums and they didn't care, but I can give some info on myself right now. I have a narrow palate which makes it hard for me to breathe through my nose, but I also have a class 1 bite where my top teeth are crowded and flare out. This was told to me by my orthodontist. I'm having another meeting with him on wednesday to decide whether my case is bimaxillary retrusion and also to measure the size of my airways. I feel like a shell of a human. The typical mouth breathing, allergen prone, stupid wonderful who's always tired and shy. I'm almost 100% sure I suffer from sleep apnea but I haven't gotten a sleep scan yet. Just another scan/appointment/consult I have to get booked for.

I hate how distorted my face looks. I look like I have so much deficiency/retrusion getting any of it "solved" or advanced doesn't even feel worth it. I want to feel and look the way I should've. So many functional problems too, more serious than bite problems, but no one cares. I wont even list them all here.

If anybody is in same boat as me and wants to start messaging eachother plz tell me, or if anyone has any advice for me. I just want someone to talk to.

DroolQueen

Re: Sad Hours :(

#2 Post by DroolQueen »

I could be wrong, but most jaw surgeons will tell you to wait until you are 20 so that they know your jaw and bone is fully formed in order to have permanent results without risking your jaw growing back into its old state. At 16 I believe you are still growing.

josh5464

#3 Post by josh5464 »

I think 20's a bit overboard, I've only read 17-18. What if I get my sleep apnea diagnosed? And explain how being tired all the time is ruining my life and especially at school. My posture is a problem as well. Because I mouthbreathe I have a forward head posture and with a slouching head the rest of the body slouches too. Breathing becomes much harder when I stand up straight, so bad you can hear it, to give an idea it sounds like I'm snoring when I breathe like that. After my allergies began I got a sudden diagnosis of mild scoliosis a few years later. It's gotten worse now and it keeps getting worse every year. I want to turn my life around with weight lifting/fitness and get back into competitive sports so posture and breathing is such a huge problem for me. I used to be into a lot of sports when I was a kid, especially gifted at gymnastics and swimming. I quit all of them after 8 because it was to hard for me to breathe and so I was always coming in last and it became unenjoyable for me. I haven't been in sports for years now, I've tried and it was just the same thing. It really seems like my life is over, I had everything and lost it so young aswell, I wish my parents paid attention to my health :(. I'm severely depressed and crying a lot. If I have to wait till 20 to get surgery I'm going to do a surgery on myself lol.

DroolQueen

#4 Post by DroolQueen »

Your life isn’t over, regardless you’ll have to wait until your 18 for surgery. So possibly you could begin preliminary orthodontia work now. Keep in mind people will wear braces usually for a year. Maybe more, maybe less. Before they even go under the knife. Which in itself is another year of recovery. You’re looking at a 2-3 year “journey” here. My best advice is to talk to the dentist you have now; and ask for a referral to an orthographic surgeon for a consultation. Find out what you can do, the internet can’t help you with your individual case and timeline because it’s different for everybody.