Lower Jaw Surgery Splint removal

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wassupwidit

Lower Jaw Surgery Splint removal

#1 Post by wassupwidit »

Hi everyone. I'm currently 3 weeks Post OP after having lower jaw advancement to correct my overbite. I am still wired shut and have a splint in. Needless to say this has been quite difficult as it's impossible to talk when you're wired and have a splint.

I'm due to have the splint out next week at 4 weeks Post OP. Are people typically unwired when the splint is removed? I absolutely cannot wait!

wassupwidit

Re: Lower Jaw Surgery Splint removal

#2 Post by wassupwidit »

Have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow. Last week he said "big possibility we'll take out your splint next week".

Fingers crossed this is the case. Not being able to talk has been hell more so than the food.

wassupwidit

#3 Post by wassupwidit »

I'm officially splint and wire free! I could not be happier. I can open my mouth about 1 finger just enough to fit a spoon in. I went to my favourite restaurant and pureed my steak and mash. It looked very unappealing but tasted good! I only have to wear elastics at night from now on. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be chewing again.

Kellyk282

#4 Post by Kellyk282 »

I'm getting unwired and my splint removed in 1.5 weeks! I thought it would be sooner but its about 3 weeks post op. I thought he was doing it yesterday 1 week postop but I must have misunderstood.
Anyways, I'm starving! Anything I see gets me so hungry! I have the tiniest opening that soup barely fits in right now. How is it going since your splint removal?