Stuffy nose persists

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NoaSky

Stuffy nose persists

#1 Post by NoaSky »

Hi everyone,

I just had double jaw surgery and sliding genioplasty about three and a half weeks ago. The first days were like hell, but after that I gradually felt better. Both my surgeon and orthodontist are satisfied with the results so far. And I am too. So thats good.

Now my problem..
Ever since the surgery I have had a stuffy nose. It has improved a little, but it is still not as It should be. Most of the time, one nostril is partially blocked and one nostril is clear. This gets worse during the night. The stuffy feeling switches sides every few hours due to the nasal cycle. However, the left nostril generally feels a bit more congested than the right one.
Besides the stuffy nose, I am having some problems with post nasal drip. There are still some blood clots in my saliva.. It is old blood though.

The first couple of days I used a decongestant spray (otrivin), which helped great. But as most of you know, you may only use this spray for a maximum of three to seven days. So far, I have tried alot of different alternatives, such as vicks vaporub, saline spray, the neti pot and breath rite strips. These alternatives do help a little, but not enough.

I have read alot of blogs and topics on this subject. I remember that most people are congestion free after about a week. This worries me a little. I had problems with nasal breathing before due to nasal spray addiction/swollen tonsils. I do not want to experience that again...

Does somebody recognize this? What are your experiences?

Hope to hear from you soon!

NoaSky

Re: Stuffy nose persists

#2 Post by NoaSky »

[quote="NoaSky"]Hi everyone,

I just had double jaw surgery and sliding genioplasty about three and a half weeks ago. The first days were like hell, but after those days I gradually felt better. Both my surgeon and orthodontist are satisfied with the results so far. And I am too. So thats good.

Now my problem..
Ever since the surgery I have had a stuffy nose. It has improved a little, but it is still not as It should be. Most of the time, one nostril is partially blocked and one nostril is clear. This gets worse during the night. The stuffy feeling switches sides every few hours due to the nasal cycle. However, the left nostril generally feels more congested than the right one.
Besides the stuffy nose, I am having some problems with post nasal drip. There are still some blood clots in my saliva.. It is old blood though.

The first couple of days I used a decongestant spray (otrivin), which helped great. But as most of you know, you may only use this spray for a maximum of three to seven days. So far, I have tried alot of different alternatives, such as vicks vaporub, saline spray, the neti pot and breath rite strips. These alternatives do help a little, but not enough.

I have read alot of blogs and topics on this subject. I remember that most people are congestion free after about a week. This worries me a little. I had problems with nasal breathing before due to nasal spray addiction/swollen tonsils. I do not want to experience that again...

Does somebody recognize this? What are your experiences?

Hope to hear from you soon![/quote]