Lefort 1 post op top lip

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ghen

Lefort 1 post op top lip

#1 Post by Ghen »

Wanted to know if anyone had trouble seeing their top teeth after surgery? Im 11 days post op and im starting to talk more but have trouble moving my top lip and can only see the teeth mainly when I smile.

GreyViolets

Re: Lefort 1 post op top lip

#2 Post by GreyViolets »

I had somewhat of the same thing, and I would advise you to relax, because you’re only 11 days post-op. Try not to judge your appearance too harshly.

Ghen

#3 Post by Ghen »

I appreciate the reply and youre right. Im a couple weeks out and actually have seen more progression when it comes to moving my lips

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

Ghen,

Interesting that you asked this, as 2 weeks ago I got some info from my surgeon that explains why this happens to a lot of people. When they’re retracting the skin on your face to work on the maxillary cuts and hardware, they pull the retractors fairly hard against orbital nerves that run under your eye sockets. This causes (usually temporary) paralysis in the nerves that lead to your upper lip. For most people it gets better with time, but remember that nerve regeneration is one of the last things to happen during your recovery, so it may take a while.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018