I had 2 upper extractions to correct a class 2 - regret! Is surgery still an option

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

abro884

I had 2 upper extractions to correct a class 2 - regret! Is surgery still an option

#1 Post by abro884 »

Hi all

Self explanatory title - I had 2 upper premolar extractions (second uppers) to correct a 3/4 class 2 malo. I am really concerned with the impact this is having on my upper lip and also can't stand my deep bite. I was offered surgery on the lower but didnt take it because the ortho wasn't sure how stable my upper jaw would be with expansion. The surgeon seemed to think it was a good idea to do it, but the ortho didnt and suggested extractions. At that point my upper teeth were so protrusive (i'd had a dodgy dentist turn my class 2 div 2 in to a class 2 div 1) that I was eager to get them retracted somewhat. This could supposedly only be achieved with extractions.

But now I feel, half way through treatment, that they are too retracted already - and they still have some way to go. My lower jaw is smaller and now that i know that, I struggle with what I anticipate the end result will be. Plus I am aging and the changes I am seeing in the overlaying soft tissues are not pleasant.

What I want to ask is - is it too late for me? I'm 32 weeks in to invisalign with retraction. Is it too late to request a change to treatment plan that would involve surgery? Is it the same surgery? I'm simply not happy with what is happening with my teeth. I have also realized it won't solve my deep bite or my lisp. My tongue feels too big for my mouth and the more retraction that happens, the worse it gets.

I desperately seek advice on whether I've permanently botched my options by having the upper premolar extractions! I've got my upper third molars though so maybe they can be substituted? I am in a mad panic as I can see where my treatment is headed and I am freaking out.

I have written to my orthodontist over this Christmas period to tell him my concerns, and to see if there is still a possibility of jaw surgery. It might now need to be upper and lower - who knows.

Bebamel2

Re: I had 2 upper extractions to correct a class 2 - regret! Is surgery still an option

#2 Post by Bebamel2 »

Hey, i was in the same situation when i got extractions, i noticed changes that i didnt like. My ortho didnt believe what i said, so i kept quiet; if i could go back, one thing i would to: Trust my guts, stop the treatment right away, ask for what you want ( because you're right and you're paying for it) and if he doesn't want to do anything, dont be afraid to look for someone else who really understands what you want.
If you just wait until the end, like me, it might be harder to "reverse" the treatment. Don't know much about jaw surgery, but I'm getting braces to expand the arch and align my 4 wisdom teeth.

abro884

Re: I had 2 upper extractions to correct a class 2 - regret! Is surgery still an option

#3 Post by abro884 »

Welp I've found out that I can have it reversed but it's going to take time... essentially adding on 18 months to my treatment.

To be fair, it's a real pain, a massive cost .... but worth it I think, because what is 18 months and a whole lot more money when you're talking about your jaw and face that you'll have for the rest of your life?

I'll post the details soon. It looks like invisalign is going to be used to open the extraction spaces and the braces will go on just prior to surgery. Pretty happy with that.