Double Jaw Surgery and Extractions

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dirac7

Double Jaw Surgery and Extractions

#1 Post by Dirac7 »

My ortho says that in order to get an ideal result that I would need braces and double jaw surgery for my mild underbite. After taking some x-rays he said that there is more crowding than expected so that I would need to have 4 pre-molars extracted as well. From my research it seems that extractions or surgery is required but I can't find any cases that require both along with braces.

What does this mean and is it possible to get a good result functionally and aesthetically without have 4 premolars extracted on top of braces and surgery. I can live with braces and surgery but extracting healthy two healthy teeth from both top and bottom when he only needs a small amount of additional space doesn't sit well for me.

Sideways

Re: Double Jaw Surgery and Extractions

#2 Post by Sideways »

Creating too much space would suck as well, since closing gaps is not an easy process, either.

Would it be possible for your ortho to use TADs (temporary anchorage devices) to pull the teeth back and create more space? I was often told that I would need four teeth extracted due to overcrowding, but I found an orthodontist who favored using TADs to create space by moving teeth further back into the jaw (apparently teeth have a tendency to move forward with braces alone).