Anyone else facing or completed DJS who also has chronic illness/pain?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Canteatapples

Anyone else facing or completed DJS who also has chronic illness/pain?

#1 Post by Canteatapples »

I am facing DJS next spring, and have several medical issues which have reduced my overall stamina. Has anyone else completed DJS, or is facing DJS, who is not 100% healthy? How are you preparing/coping?

DroolQueen

Re: Anyone else facing or completed DJS who also has chronic illness/pain?

#2 Post by DroolQueen »

I am a type one diabetic who did not have good control over my blood sugar levels before the surgery and was 20 pounds overweight. A month before going under the knife I finally upgraded my medical equipment, and started using a continuous glucose monitoring sensor which basically allows me to know what my levels are every 5 minutes. Which allows for me to correct and keep my blood glucose at a stable healthy level. The anesthesiologist was beaming at how good and steady my blood sugar levels were while I was under. Also through the surgery I lost the 20 pounds that were the source of my woes.
so I expect my blood pressure should have come down a bit too.

The best thing I can advise you is that if you don’t already have a healthy diet, start one now. I live with other people who are very healthy eaters so by proxy when they cook and I’m included in the meals I always ended up eating healthy (portion sizes were another thing. Hence why i was 20 lbs over). But I also would exercise every single day for an hour, and I did that for a year starting the day I got my braces fitted in anticipation for the surgery. So I would recommend a routine where you start to monitor the type of food you eat. Eat better and smaller portions. And exercise DAILY. Anyone can find time even if it’s just 30 minutes a day rather than an hour. Also maybe get any regular lab work or physicals that you have put off for awhile, done before the surgery. Best of luck let me know if you have any other questions