Unbearable tightness in chin

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sara123456789

Re: Unbearable tightness in chin

#91 Post by Sara123456789 »

I've heard burning leads to more feeling....I think its a good sign as long as its not chronic. keep me posted!

phantast

#92 Post by phantast »

I still have improvents, my chin is improving a lot, it's actually returning to normal starting from below slowing going up. My underlip however is bad, it feels like the lip is frozen like there is no bloodflow. But my chin area is returning to normal! The muscles feel less tightened in one position. I woke up today and the only real problem is my lower lip now, the chin is improving so much that it doesn't even bother me anymore.

Sara123456789

#93 Post by Sara123456789 »

Thats awesome :) How far post-op are you?

phantast

#94 Post by phantast »

Hi

i'm 10 months post up now, my chin is normal now , but my lower lip is horrible still :/

Sara123456789

#95 Post by Sara123456789 »

has anyone tried botox?

icthedral

#96 Post by icthedral »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced lip / chin paralysis in addition to the feeling of tightness? Right after my genio half of my lower lip and chin were TOTALLY paralyzed and it is still bad although improved somewhat almost two years later. It makes me so badly regret the genioplasty. Aesthetically I also don't like it but it is way less bothersome then the lack of movement. I look like I have bells palsy. The surgeon said it was rare but also didn't seem to take it very seriously. I would love to know if anyone else has experienced this at all and if there was ever total improvement. I was never told this was a risk, in fact there sheet I was given said specifically that motor problems did not happen, only numbness to touch etc. I wish I had known. I think surgeons need to go over the risks more extensively. I have had three supposedly extremely rare serious complications. :(

I hope things improve for everyone.

Sara123456789

#97 Post by Sara123456789 »

I'm in the exact same situation you described. I'm also 2 years post-op. I am so mad, the surgery made me look worse, but like you said the functional problem of being I constant never-ending pain and discomfort when having a conversation is way worse. I totally relate on the bells palsy thing! actually, I scheduled a botox session with a neurologist next month just because some some bells palsy patients said it helped with the tugging and pulling. I'm also extremely scared because I found that sometimes there are real risks will botox and most doctors deny the risks, but at this point I'm desperate I guess. I don't know if it will actually help. My surgeon, Dr. Joe Armstrong, at University Hospital, in London Ontario has been absolutely terrible about all this...he denied there was any nerve damage!! Kept saying it will resolve and then conveniently dropped me as a patient. He is terrible smh. I talking to another surgeon now to discuss plate removal (have you thought about that?)...he is a lot nicer, more trustworthy and I know people personally who had great results from him...but I can tell he is really reluctant to touch me (no surgeon likes to touch another work which is understandable but also re-victimizes patients). I really want to do the plate removal but Im scared this new surgeon won't do it :(

phantast

#98 Post by phantast »

icthedral wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:22 pm Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced lip / chin paralysis in addition to the feeling of tightness? Right after my genio half of my lower lip and chin were TOTALLY paralyzed and it is still bad although improved somewhat almost two years later. It makes me so badly regret the genioplasty. Aesthetically I also don't like it but it is way less bothersome then the lack of movement. I look like I have bells palsy. The surgeon said it was rare but also didn't seem to take it very seriously. I would love to know if anyone else has experienced this at all and if there was ever total improvement. I was never told this was a risk, in fact there sheet I was given said specifically that motor problems did not happen, only numbness to touch etc. I wish I had known. I think surgeons need to go over the risks more extensively. I have had three supposedly extremely rare serious complications. :(

I hope things improve for everyone.
Same here, I have the exact same phenomenon as you described and I don't think it's extremely rare they're just lying about it. Also my results are terrible, I did have an underbite and after the operation I still had an underbite which become worse than before the operation and that is really extremely rare...

I really don't know what to do now, another surgery is out of question because of this terrible nerve damage.

phantast

#99 Post by phantast »

Sara123456789 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:17 pm I'm in the exact same situation you described. I'm also 2 years post-op. I am so mad, the surgery made me look worse, but like you said the functional problem of being I constant never-ending pain and discomfort when having a conversation is way worse. I totally relate on the bells palsy thing! actually, I scheduled a botox session with a neurologist next month just because some some bells palsy patients said it helped with the tugging and pulling. I'm also extremely scared because I found that sometimes there are real risks will botox and most doctors deny the risks, but at this point I'm desperate I guess. I don't know if it will actually help. My surgeon, Dr. Joe Armstrong, at University Hospital, in London Ontario has been absolutely terrible about all this...he denied there was any nerve damage!! Kept saying it will resolve and then conveniently dropped me as a patient. He is terrible smh. I talking to another surgeon now to discuss plate removal (have you thought about that?)...he is a lot nicer, more trustworthy and I know people personally who had great results from him...but I can tell he is really reluctant to touch me (no surgeon likes to touch another work which is understandable but also re-victimizes patients). I really want to do the plate removal but Im scared this new surgeon won't do it :(
I thought my situation improved, but in the last 3 weeks my paralysis and muscle stiffness en tightness in my lip and chin became even worse. I don't think the doctors can't do anything about it which I accepted but it's horribly uncomfortable when talking or eating. even when i'm not moving anything I can feel the stiffness in my chin. I however do not regret my choice to undergo the surgery because my situation was awful both aesthetics and functionality however the results are terrible.

Sara123456789

#100 Post by Sara123456789 »

do you have hardware in your jaw and chin? I regret it because I had no functional or cosmetic concerns beforehand, I was manipulated by my surgeon and orthodontist.

phantast

#101 Post by phantast »

Sara123456789 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:06 pm do you have hardware in your jaw and chin? I regret it because I had no functional or cosmetic concerns beforehand, I was manipulated by my surgeon and orthodontist.
Hi, no I don't have any hardware. The tightness/stitness is driving me insane at times. There is no solution, only luck and time can heal my nerve damage but it looks like i'm doomed. my entire chin and underlip are stiff and frozen. My improvement would be insane if the surgeon didn't mess up.

Sara123456789

#102 Post by Sara123456789 »

did you do a separate surgery to remove the hardware? how did your surgeon mess up? mine said he performed mine textbook perfectly but he also has an ego the size of an elephant so of course he said that. I know the tightness and stiffness is dreadful, and this surgery is the biggest regret of my life.

phantast

#103 Post by phantast »

Sara123456789 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:36 pm did you do a separate surgery to remove the hardware? how did your surgeon mess up? mine said he performed mine textbook perfectly but he also has an ego the size of an elephant so of course he said that. I know the tightness and stiffness is dreadful, and this surgery is the biggest regret of my life.
Ya I did, but I didn't have any hardware in my chin, the only thing they did was rotating my chin counterclockwise as it was standing in a super asymmetric position. The surgeon told me the same thing "a textbook perfect" but she messed up.

Sara123456789

#104 Post by Sara123456789 »

can you explain your symptoms in detail so I could compare?

thanks

phantast

#105 Post by phantast »

Sara123456789 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:10 pm can you explain your symptoms in detail so I could compare?

thanks
Well I had an underbite but after surgery I still had an underbite which became even worse over time, my underbite now is worse than before I had surgery, it feels like my jaws are alligned incorrectly it's a horrible feeling as it feels unnatural.

Then the nerve damage. It feels like my muscles in my chin area are sewn together in one spot, it feels heavy and it kinda wants to pull down. also my underlip is frozen and feels like there is no blood circulation in it.