Unbearable tightness in chin

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sara123456789

Re: Unbearable tightness in chin

#46 Post by Sara123456789 »

I had my braces off end of February. It doesn't feel better.

cloudy angel,

how are you feeling chin hardware removal surgery? are you glad you did it?

Nochokin

#47 Post by Nochokin »

Cloudy angel-I’ve just recently discussed the tightness in my chin. I also feel like I’m horse bridled. The doctor suggested steroid injections to break up scar tissue and removing the plates and screws. What therapy did you have for scarring and did it help?

Sara123456789

#48 Post by Sara123456789 »

did you have genio?

Nochokin

#49 Post by Nochokin »

I had BSSO, lefort 1 and sliding genioplasty. I have so many issues. My nerve ruptured so these feelings are strange. Feel tightness all around my mouth near incisions. I feel my chin being pulled. I feel like gauze is seen under skin near left plates and screws. Enough to make one crazy!!! I’m 9 months post op. Would love to know others with similar experience and what treatments worked or not??

kplatt2010

#50 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi Nochkin-
I'm 14 months post BSSO, Leforte 1, and genioplasty reversal. I had a genioplasty as a young adult. I had a neck disc replacement surgery and then developed sleep apnea six months later which is why I had the jaw surgery. I had incredible tightness to the point where it was starting to affect my ability to eat at the nine month mark. It turns out though that I had developed scar tissue because I stopped doing the tongue depressor jaw stretch exercises. I had a new puppy who had gotten hold of the sticks LOL and so I had thrown them out.

I went to Michels and got these quite large popsicle sticks and worked up to 24 sticks for 30 minutes. It has really helped with mobility. What would be the cherry on the sundae is if I could get these freaking braces off. If we could just get the bottom teeth to roll out (they are tipped towards my tongue).

I've started googling like crazy and now I make suggestions to the orthodontist. I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy. Who wouldn't be after 2 1/2 years of braces??!! I'm convinced that if he would just do the through bite elastics then I could straighten out the teeth.
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 9.27.30 AM.png
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7228
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sara123456789

#51 Post by Sara123456789 »

For me, my problem isn't opening. I can open wide. Its stiffness in the lower lip and chin that makes speaking feel terrible.

kplatt2010

#52 Post by kplatt2010 »

I can actually open my jaw now really well; my teeth on my left side are just tipped in.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7233
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sara123456789

#53 Post by Sara123456789 »

Nochokin--I feel the exact same sensations. How was your nerve ruptured? My surgeon won't admit to any nerve damage, to him the surgery went "technically perfect". Well if this is what technically perfect feels like, then I don't even want to think what a bad outcome for him is......

I am in pain constantly, especially when I speak, I have so much tension in my lip and chin it feels individual muscle fibres are tearing. I'm 1.5 years post op and miserable.

Nochokin

#54 Post by Nochokin »

sara123456789-- I had a very large advancement, 19mm lower jaw and 12mm upper jaw plus genioplasty. Im also in my 50s and am assuming my nerve could not tolerate that large of an advancement. the surgeon repaired the best he could but could not connect the edges. I was hopeful to get some feeling back but that has not been the case. I too, can open fine, its the pulling and stiffness combined with the numbness that are extremely difficult to deal with. Ive searched the internet and many support groups and most have no idea what I am talking about. I think everyone has stiffness near incision sites and tmj's at first but this is very different. I am almost positive the chin plates and screws are contributing. My chin is like a rock most of the time. I am hoping screw removal and steroid injections into the scar tissue and botox for the mentalist muscle will relieve some of this discomfort. I cannot imagine living the rest of my life like this. I've also tried cold laser therapy and acupuncture with no great relief. I will update if any of the above treatments help. I am so grateful for this support group. This process without a desired outcome is very isolating.

Sara123456789

#55 Post by Sara123456789 »

I relate to everything you said above. No one understands how isolating it is to have underwent a huge procedure and end up way worse than you started. If this discomfort persists for the rest of my life, then my quality of life has been greatly diminished. I am 23 and should have my whole life ahead of me. My surgeon has completely abandoned me and will not admit to anything. I do have sensation, I can feel when I touch my chin and lip but it feels muted. The worst is how difficult it is to speak, my muscle fibres get bunched up and stiffen into a rock. Please keep my posted on any relief you may find. This is getting very hard to deal with.

Sara123456789

#56 Post by Sara123456789 »

my advancements were very tiny, lower jaw 6mm forward and chin back 4mm. Im such an idiot, I had a very small overbite camouflaged by a nice prominent chin and most of all I had 0 functional issues and a happy life. This surgery was such a mistake for me

Sara123456789

#57 Post by Sara123456789 »

cloudyangel, can you please give an update on how your feeling post chin plate removal. You said you feel better, but you also said you still feel the same. Is it worth it?

Nochokin

#58 Post by Nochokin »

[quote=Sara123456789 post_id=504720 time=1537554919 user_id=30794]
cloudyangel, can you please give an update on how your feeling post chin plate removal. You said you feel better, but you also said you still feel the same. Is it worth it?
[/quote]

Nochokin

#59 Post by Nochokin »

Sara123456789. I am so sorry you are going through this at such a young age. I think it would be beneficial to have someone assess the nerve. A nerve can be repaired within a certain timeframe and you have your age on your side.
I went to one of the best surgeons in the US, but surgery is surgery. I am just starting to research nerve diagnostics and nerve repair. I will keep you posted.

CloudyAngel

#60 Post by CloudyAngel »

Sorry - I have been out of touch. Yes, my chin recovery has gone well!! Though, I intend to have most of the other hardware removed because I feel like I am having a reaction to it....FUN, FUN!!!