Unbearable tightness in chin

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sara123456789

Re: Unbearable tightness in chin

#121 Post by Sara123456789 »

did not work for me

snrwl

#122 Post by snrwl »

I wish I saw this thread before my operation. I'm now 8 months post-op (6mm advancement) and I still have tightness in my chin. Not much numbness left and I don't feel any pain but it's quite uncomfortable. I'll wait a bit longer before I try anything. Some links that might be useful for others:

https://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/ca ... nioplasty/
https://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/ho ... e-impoved/
https://exploreplasticsurgery.com/under ... 6132812500
https://eppley155.rssing.com/browser.ph ... &item=2321

Rushgirl1

#123 Post by Rushgirl1 »

Im 16 months post of lower jaw surgery my symptoms is exactly like sara I haven’t done genioplasty though. Its severe tightness and very noticeable when i speak ibdo also have nerve damage ian but the numbness is not sever it doesn’t bother me . Im not sure wat causes the tightness its like pulling sensation and its very noticeable to others people tend to stare at it sometimes they feel uncomfortable when i speak it gave me anxiety and depression i cant speak to others because of the appearance it pulls down my chin lips and like i have paralysis. I didn’t remove my screws I think the issue is deeper than this. I massaged my scar tissue didn’t work i had botox it worsen the situation i had acupuncture didnt work. I had another consultation the dr said that i need genioplasty because he said i do have slight receding chin and it might improve my problem. I dont know about this though i hope u guys find the solution because i think we do have same issue .

Sara123456789

#124 Post by Sara123456789 »

it sucks you have this too with no genioplasty

Corses21

#125 Post by Corses21 »

has anyone solved this problem? I believe it is due to the sutured chin muscle too much. down . sometimes also facial lengthening that does not allow a normal closing of the lips and therefore under stress. I have a very low internal scar since the operation, so even the lip too much cannot rise and I continually have this feeling I have stretched the tissues of the lip and chin downwards .. I am going to the link of a doctor from Korea who explains at what height the chin muscle should be sutured. in a few months I will have a height reduction genioplasty and a suture of the muscle of the chin and of the upper tissues. at rest the lips remain open about 4 mm.

https://youtu.be/kKukkMbkbSs

Sara123456789

#126 Post by Sara123456789 »

I didn't have any lengthening of the chin and actually had a chin reduction. So I'm very confused why I'm experiencing this. It has ruined my life.

Corses21

#127 Post by Corses21 »

how far away is your inside scar from your incisors? Could it be that your chin muscle may be reconnected too low?
my mentolabial fold has dropped since before the surgery and this shows that the chin muscle is resuspended too low compared to my initial situation and the lips are only able to tighten under exertion and I have a continual impediment to speaking, chewing and continuous tension and hardening

Sara123456789

#128 Post by Sara123456789 »

could you PM me? I'm from Canada. I could give you my number and show you

Corses21

#129 Post by Corses21 »

sara I tried but I can't send private messages ... can you send it to me?

simonant

#130 Post by simonant »

Dear phantast,

Have just come accros this forum, and reading your added comments just feel like one big recognition of events! I'm not having any chin plates (the one placed there after jaw fracture was removed during my bsso) and the feeling of tightness and a pulling lower lip/chin has been increasing since nerves are back at work...

When going through yr messages, I do get the impression things have improved for you, yet then you got a total setback almost a year post-op?! How had this been developed again, ever since?!

Thanks for your information, I'm very curious to read so I know a bit better what to expect.. at this point, 2,5 months post-op, I feel the tightness is only getting worse. I notice it all throughout the day. If fat grafts/massaging/muscle reattachment would be manageable and lead to beneficial results, I'd be very glad to know.

Regards,

Simon

phantast wrote:
> [quote=Sara123456789 post_id=506808 time=1549913645 user_id=30794]
> Got an appointment to see my new surgeon in a few weeks! I'm going to tell
> him to schedule the plate removal ASAP.....I hope and pray this surgeon is
> able to fix this mess, I would be sooooooooooooo eternally grateful to him.
> [/quote]
>
> So I felt improvements however since a week I have horrible burning
> sensation in my lower lip and chin area even when not moving my lips or
> chin.
> So first it felt completely numb, then for 7 months it felt like my muscles
> were all sewn togetherer with lots of electricity feeling when touching my
> lips.
> After 8 months I had improvements, the electricity sensation in my lip
> faded
> Now after 9 months I have a horrible burning sensation in my lower lip and
> chin, like fireants or tobasco. So I hope my nerves come awake or something
> i'm quite scared that it will get worse though.

Saidcha

#131 Post by Saidcha »

Please guys ! Anyone found a solution for the tightness and numbness the chin and lower lip ?
It been one year after my genioplasty and im still feeling tightness around my lower lip and chin ! Hard to speak and to move your mouth
Please any help ?

Sara123456789

#132 Post by Sara123456789 »

How is everyone?
Does anyone have any updates?

I'm unfortunately still struggling a lot. It's been well over 4 years. This surgery stole my best years from me.

Uplater

#133 Post by Uplater »

I'm having the same issue, did you have a big advancement? I had 7mm and the scar has contracted into the dead space from the step off causing the feeling of it being tethered and the muscle to spasm. I'm currently having trouble eating and have lost 4kg in the past 2 weeks, having to deal with a joint pathology that makes eating hard already and my physio retiring this was the last straw. I'm currently seeking to have it reversed and my joints replaced.

According to a Dr I spoke to online the scar needs to be revised and either a fat graft or fill/Implant material put in the step off to stop the new scar from contracting into the dead space again. According to some patients I spoke to who've had a reversal or revision they did get some relief from that but if they also had numbness or strange nerve sensations those remained.

Jansie

#134 Post by Jansie »

I too am experiencing tightness for 2+ years since genioplasty now. Not debilitating but still very disturbing. Have spoken to a few surgeons who seem to agree that this, while relatively rare and most of all not mentioned much in the literature, can be caused by scar tissue contraction or attachment in the bony step-off. None of them were 100% sure that this is indeed what causes the symptoms in any (my) individual case though. Suggestions during fairly casual conversation - so no formal treatment plan (yet) - were to fill in the bony gap with artificial bone or an implant. One other surgeon mentioned the possibility of somehow loosening the scar attachment via "stabbing" with a needle from the outside (I am having trouble properly translating this to English, but you get the picture), followed by fat graft/injection. Here too this was discussed only briefly so I have no clue about the stability and other pros/cons of this option, but it would avoid completely opening the scar/transecting the mentalis again which is probably a good thing.

Not sure if this is useful to any of you but figured I'd share.

Nat1983

#135 Post by Nat1983 »

Sara123456789 wrote:
> did not work for me
Hi Sara I am too experiencing the same thing I’m only 4 months post op I had reduction genioplasty. My mentalis muscles have been place to high up causing me pain and strain. I have been reading other peoples comments and it looks as it gets worse as time goes on. I’m scared this will be the case for me as it’s bad enough as it is.
Did u manage to get your problem sorted