When did your numbness go away?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

koros

When did your numbness go away?

#1 Post by koros »

I am almost 2 months post-op. And my left lower jaw is still numb. It's annoying! Most people say 6 months? I guess there's no point in asking, but I am curious for anyone out there. Did feeling come back to your face? If so, when? And was it gradual

EmilyTravels

Re: When did your numbness go away?

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

I don't know if this will help at all, but I had nerve damage in my lower left jawbone due to a jaw fracture/bike accident. My lower left teeth, inside of mouth, chin, and half my bottom lip was numb when it happened (April 21 of this year). Two months afterwards, still a lot of numbness and tingling, and I was afraid it would be that way forever. Now, 4.5 months later, the numbness is much less! I would not be a bit surprised if it's nearly totally healed by the six month mark. Yes, that seems like a long time, but in the bigger picture, it really isn't. My oral surgeon and orthodontist both think I'll eventually be back to full feeling there.

I have heard it can take up to 18 months for this kind of nerve damage to heal completely, so don't give up hope!

Illogical

#3 Post by Illogical »

Do you ever get any tingling/crackling sensation running along your teeth or jaw? I've been told this is the nerves healing. I tend to get it once or twice a day and after 10 days since SARPE I've regained a lot of feeling in my lower lip and teeth and my upper teeth are starting to get less numb. Upper lip is still numb and very swollen though.

EmilyTravels

#4 Post by EmilyTravels »

Illogical wrote:Do you ever get any tingling/crackling sensation running along your teeth or jaw? I've been told this is the nerves healing. I tend to get it once or twice a day and after 10 days since SARPE I've regained a lot of feeling in my lower lip and teeth and my upper teeth are starting to get less numb. Upper lip is still numb and very swollen though.
No, I have actually not gotten any tingling feeling there, only on the outside. I guess everyone is different. I feel like I've retained at least 75% of sensation from where I was a few months ago. Hopefully the other 25% is still to come!

MPBanana

#5 Post by MPBanana »

I had BSSO Advancement 4 months ago and i still don't have full sensation back. Currently the lower lip and just below almost to the chin is where everything is still numb. I too am at like 75 percent but I was told id be lucky if i get the additional 25 percent back just because thats a common issue with my type of surgery. I also had nerve damage as well. I wish you luck on your recovery.

lundberg

#6 Post by lundberg »

I think it's very common for the sensation to take a long time to come back. It's a common issue with this operation as I read online. However, my friend had a lower/upper jaw surgery and she was numb in this area for over 8 months and then it started to get better with time.