Life after splint removal

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kegreen

Life after splint removal

#1 Post by kegreen »

I had double jaw surgery on April 26th. This Wednesday was 6 weeks post surgery and my splint was removed on Tuesday. I thought after the splint was removed I would just have a thin bar across the roof of my mouth. It turned out to be a retainer. I have to wear the retainer and 4 rubberbands 24/7 only taking them out to eat. The rubberbands practically hold my mouth completely closed. I also still have not been able to chew. My surgeon says he will let me start next week. I had anticipated my life returning somewhat to normal after the splint was removed, but now I am just feeling depressed. Any idea when some real changes may happen and I can start feeling more normal again??

jaime

Re: Life after splint removal

#2 Post by jaime »

Hi kegreen, congrats on getting your splint out and making it to 6 weeks! You're over the worst of it now.

It's normal for the rubber bands to hold your mouth closed. I didn't have a splint but it took awhile to get back to chewing normally. Your chewing muscles have most likely weakened from lack of use, not to mention your bones are still healing, so you'll have to start off slow and easy on soft foods and work your way back up to normal chewing over the course of several weeks. I'm sure your surgeon will give you more direction next week.

I think life will feel more normal to you once you're able to chew some soft things next week. It's quite a bit better than just drinking liquids.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

kegreen

Re: Life after splint removal

#3 Post by kegreen »

Thanks for the reply jaime! How long can I expect it to take for my mouth to stay closed without rubberbands and also to be able to open my mouth wider? I can barely get the retainer in and out that I am having to wear across the roof of my mouth.