Unilateral condylar hyperasia

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

psmoovedetroit

Unilateral condylar hyperasia

#1 Post by psmoovedetroit »

Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of research and reading forums and im almost 100% sure that I have some form on condylar hyperplasia. I'm 20 and in college, and mainly the issue that I have is the way my face looks and headaches. I was wondering how I should look for treatment with this. And also if anyone has experience with a similar situation that could give me pointers tohelp me on my journey for surgery.

CandyApple

Re: Unilateral condylar hyperasia

#2 Post by CandyApple »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/342497142445167/

Not sure if this link will work but this Facebook page has a lot of people with condylar issues that are getting the joint replaced. Not sure if that is the same but it may have more information then arch wired.

psmoovedetroit

#3 Post by psmoovedetroit »

Thanks I really really appreciate that link im gonna check it out!

kcjawjourney

#4 Post by kcjawjourney »

Hi, @psmoovedetroit...

I was actually diagnosed with something similar last year--hemimandibular hyperplasia.

I've always known there was something wrong with my jaw. I had braces in middle school, and at one time, my bite and jaws were perfect. However, one side of my jaw continued to grow after I got my braces off, resulting in a posterior open bite, cross bite, and my midline was off by 6mm. My jaw was asymmetric and looked "crooked." I finally went to visit an oral surgeon, who took a CT scan and confirmed the diagnosis. Below is my treatment timeline:

May 2016: Visited oral surgeon, took CT scan, he recommended double jaw surgery
June 2016: Wisdom teeth extraction
August 2016: Got braces put on, clear self-ligating brackets on top, metal on bottom
November 2016: Orthodontist confirmed I was ready for surgery
December 2016: Pre-op with the surgeon (molds, computer imaging, x-rays, surgical planning, etc.)
January 2017: Double jaw surgery: BSSO to rotate lower jaw, 3 piece LeFort to widen and level upper jaw
May 2017: Braces removal!!!

All in all, my treatment took almost exactly a year from when I was diagnosed. I had an excellent surgeon and orthodontist who worked really closely together on my treatment planning. I'm getting my braces off next week and my bite and jaw position are now perfect. It was a long year, but totally worth it.

psmoovedetroit

#5 Post by psmoovedetroit »

[quote="kcjawjourney"]Hi, @psmoovedetroit...

I was actually diagnosed with something similar last year--hemimandibular hyperplasia.

I've always known there was something wrong with my jaw. I had braces in middle school, and at one time, my bite and jaws were perfect. However, one side of my jaw continued to grow after I got my braces off, resulting in a posterior open bite, cross bite, and my midline was off by 6mm. My jaw was asymmetric and looked "crooked." I finally went to visit an oral surgeon, who took a CT scan and confirmed the diagnosis. Below is my treatment timeline:

May 2016: Visited oral surgeon, took CT scan, he recommended double jaw surgery
June 2016: Wisdom teeth extraction
August 2016: Got braces put on, clear self-ligating brackets on top, metal on bottom
November 2016: Orthodontist confirmed I was ready for surgery
December 2016: Pre-op with the surgeon (molds, computer imaging, x-rays, surgical planning, etc.)
January 2017: Double jaw surgery: BSSO to rotate lower jaw, 3 piece LeFort to widen and level upper jaw
May 2017: Braces removal!!!

All in all, my treatment took almost exactly a year from when I was diagnosed. I had an excellent surgeon and orthodontist who worked really closely together on my treatment planning. I'm getting my braces off next week and my bite and jaw position are now perfect. It was a long year, but totally worth it.[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one! I honestly didnt even notice until i saw myself in pictures now its literally the only thing i see. I also just had a couple questions if you don't mind:

Which insurance did you have? I really want a guaranteed coverage because I know I can't cover the whole surgery out of pocket.

And what surgeon did you have exactly? I want to get this done by someone whom has ex0erience down the road and to find out that your surgeon did an excellent job has me wanting the same lol!

kcjawjourney

#6 Post by kcjawjourney »

I was the same way!! I noticed it in pictures a long, long time ago and I became obsessed with trying to hide it!! I would only pose in pictures on my "good side" and I was always so self-conscious because I felt it was so obvious and that everyone could see it. After surgery, it has definitely straightened out, even though I'm still swollen so it's hard to see my FINAL results. But all my friends and family swear they never even noticed it. We pay far more attention to our faces than anyone else.

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield through my employer. You have to make sure you check your policy very closely, because many insurance plans exclude any type of orthognathic surgery (their term for double jaw surgery). And if they do cover it, you usually have to meet specific criteria and prove the surgery is medically necessary.

I went to an oral/maxillofacial surgeon and he referred me to an orthodontist. My oral surgeon sent a pre-approval request letter to my insurance company that included my CT scan, measurements, and his recommendation that the surgery was medically necessary. It took about 6 weeks for my insurance company to send me notice that my surgery was approved. I waited to get my braces on until I had that approval letter, because I definitely didn't want to pay for braces and then not be able to get the surgery covered. All in all, I paid $3,000 out of pocket for my surgery and $6,000 out of pocket for my braces.

Sorry if that was too much info-but I was lost when I started this process!