Crooked teeth after jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jawss

Crooked teeth after jaw surgery

#1 Post by jawss »

Hi,
I had an upper jaw surgery around 12 weeks ago to close an open bite,
everything went fine, except now I have an overbite with crooked teeth in the front teeth in lower jaw due to using elastics to hold the upper jaw,
at the start i thought it was okay because it wasn't that bad, but now my lower teeth looks really bad and I'm a bit worried, I'm not sure what to think of it, is this normal or necessary? anyone gone through similar situation?

Thanks

Blueman4000

Re: Crooked teeth after jaw surgery

#2 Post by Blueman4000 »

I think I'm going through the same thing. I had an open bite that was corrected with just Lefort 1, and now I have a pretty big overjet and my mouth feels all out of sync. I tried wearing my retainer on top after years of a bite guard but it seems to have made matters worse. Braces and elastics will probably fix it but overall I think I should've gotten bottom jaw (BSSO) as well. Sucks having to go through all this and still be messed up xD

sirwired

Re: Crooked teeth after jaw surgery

#3 Post by sirwired »

It's not unusual for the ortho to have some work to do to fix some side-effects of the surgery and recovery. For me, the upper splint intruded my molars so I "lost" my bite; six months of additional ortho work before retention cleared that right up.