Developed Underbite at 20 HELP

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

euanp43

Developed Underbite at 20 HELP

#1 Post by euanp43 »

Hey, Bit distressed recently! Had normal occlusion all my life thanks to braces at 14 to 16! Recently I've developed an underbite I think my jaw has been moving forward slowly over the years and I just haven't realised (regret) </3, noticed after getting punched smack in the jaw! Was wondering if its common for people to develop underbites at this age or could it have something to do with the punch?

Also if any Uk residents could tell me how much with would cost to fix not sure I qualify for NHS </3

Thanks!

FlyByNight

Re: Developed Underbite at 20 HELP

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

Believe it or not, bad back posture can lead to an underbite. I've heard that a hunched over back can push your jaw out.

arraye

#3 Post by arraye »

euanp43 wrote:Hey, Bit distressed recently! Had normal occlusion all my life thanks to braces at 14 to 16! Recently I've developed an underbite I think my jaw has been moving forward slowly over the years and I just haven't realised (regret) </3, noticed after getting punched smack in the jaw! Was wondering if its common for people to develop underbites at this age or could it have something to do with the punch?

Also if any Uk residents could tell me how much with would cost to fix not sure I qualify for NHS </3

Thanks!
I'm fairly certain that while I had a mild open bite around age 16, that it continued to grow and get worse (possibly helped by my not wearing a retainer - not sure) until I was about 19/20. I believe that's the reason that most jaw surgery patients are over 18, the jaw is still growing until then! So I'd say it's possible.

Qualifying for surgery with the NHS will depend entirely on the nature of it (is it skeletal?) and the severity (will not fixing it with surgery now cause major problems down the line?) I went to a private orthodontist for a consultation who took one look in my mouth and referred me to the hospital, you might need to do the same!

reading1995247

#4 Post by reading1995247 »

Honestly, for me~
I remember back in year 8, that I couldn't bring my lower teeth behind my upper ones.
I thought I was "special" lol.

And it wasn't until I was like 16 that I realised how bad my bite was.
I suppose in Year8, it was just starting to develop.

I went to my dentist who referred my for "braces" but they told me I needed both braces and surgery, which I knew through research.
And I qualified under NHS!

I got braces right before I turned 19, and trust me, my teeth were actually compensating for my jaw!
So once my teeth were straightened out, that's when I found out just how BAD my bite was.

So you can definitely develop an underbite, you don't really NOTICE it, until its there.
So I'd say get yourself referred before it gets even worse!